EDC phone setup

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Rebelprepping

EDC phone setup

Post by Rebelprepping »

Mobile phones are one of the greatest most revolutionary inventions of the modern age. Despite this they are relatively ignored by preppers and EDC enthusiasts. The phone has so many survival used even when the battery is dead so knowing how to set the phone up for survival use while it has power and how to utilise it's components when it is dead is vital information. I've linked my video showing the apps and information I have on my phone as well as the items I have stored in my phone case. All additional ideas welcome.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0Urz7d05LGA
cbp125

Re: EDC phone setup

Post by cbp125 »

With google, amazon and apple setting up systems to trace your every movements, Amazon alexa being used to test for corona, I would not touch a mobile phone with a barge pole!

I have an amatuer radio on me at all times, a good network of hams monitoring the frequencies and support 24/7 at a push of a ptt button.

At home I have a large range of radios covering most bands, and internet. We are also setting up our own mesh net which is a private airwave based internet so we can send emails and documents to each other if the internet drops.

I'll leave smart phones for ....... (I'll leave that or I'll get banned)
Rebelprepping

Post by Rebelprepping »

cbp125 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:14 pm With google, amazon and apple setting up systems to trace your every movements, Amazon alexa being used to test for corona, I would not touch a mobile phone with a barge pole!

I have an amatuer radio on me at all times, a good network of hams monitoring the frequencies and support 24/7 at a push of a ptt button.

At home I have a large range of radios covering most bands, and internet. We are also setting up our own mesh net which is a private airwave based internet so we can send emails and documents to each other if the internet drops.

I'll leave smart phones for ....... (I'll leave that or I'll get banned)

The problem with that is it doesn't offer the same day to day benefits of a phone. If we are in a martial law/government take over situation I'm ditching it as soon as possible. However in our day to day lives we are far more likely to need first aid information or navigation information that we are to avoid government detection. I'd rather be tracked and have the ability to save someone's life if needed.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

The problem with that is it doesn't offer the same day to day benefits of a phone. If we are in a martial law/government take over situation I'm ditching it as soon as possible. However in our day to day lives we are far more likely to need first aid information or navigation information that we are to avoid government detection. I'd rather be tracked and have the ability to save someone's life if needed.
[/quote]

I think it would be safe to say we would not agree on this.
Firstly are we not already in a government take over situation??? Being ordered into our homes is quite an extreme measure (although I do agree with it).

Secondly, I have an abundance of navigational information, I carry a compass at all times in my edc and I have a good selection of maps covering my local area as well as lots of the UK. I also can call out on my ham radio for any local directions I need, where people at home could look things up and or guide me somewhere if needed. Something I have done before and know it works well.

Thirdly, I always carry a very well stocked first aid kit and survival blankets in my edc. I also know how to use it having done first aid courses.

I will assume we will both have different opinions on this so without wanting to turn a debate into an argument, I will leave others to add their views
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

At the moment we use our mobiles in the home instead of the landline primarily because if we plug the land line in we get pestered multiple times daily by scammers, marketing calls, former aquantences etc. But we turn them off until we need them when we go out, and every time an app asks for permission we decline, and many apps like google we dont install. . Most of us also have laptops we take out with us so we E mail each other as well. I dont trust the state at all its why when we stock up on food, fuel, kit etc we buy from multiple suppliers and try to pay cash where possible. This does not make us invisible online but it does reduce our footprint. Local p2p comms in the village between family members is some time done with tweaked UV5R radios. We do embrace cell phones but limit their use just like we wont have those listening devices like Alexa , Siri, Echo etc in the house nor smart TVs Biog Brother is moving ever further into our lives as it is AND only yesterday some left wing politician was saying that because mobiles help the state track the Corona virus spread its not enough and the leftist wants everryone data tag chipped with IM microchips.
Rebelprepping

Post by Rebelprepping »

preppergb wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:57 pm At the moment we use our mobiles in the home instead of the landline primarily because if we plug the land line in we get pestered multiple times daily by scammers, marketing calls, former aquantences etc. But we turn them off until we need them when we go out, and every time an app asks for permission we decline, and many apps like google we dont install. . Most of us also have laptops we take out with us so we E mail each other as well. I dont trust the state at all its why when we stock up on food, fuel, kit etc we buy from multiple suppliers and try to pay cash where possible. This does not make us invisible online but it does reduce our footprint. Local p2p comms in the village between family members is some time done with tweaked UV5R radios. We do embrace cell phones but limit their use just like we wont have those listening devices like Alexa , Siri, Echo etc in the house nor smart TVs Biog Brother is moving ever further into our lives as it is AND only yesterday some left wing politician was saying that because mobiles help the state track the Corona virus spread its not enough and the leftist wants everryone data tag chipped with IM microchips.

I understand your concerns, trust me I am very skeptical of the government and big brother. However I am required to have a phone for work and without everyone else in the companies cooperation it will be impossible to ditch it and function at work. The point of this is if I'm being forced to have one use it to my advantage while I can
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

Rebelprepping wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:16 pm
preppergb wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:57 pm At the moment we use our mobiles in the home instead of the landline primarily because if we plug the land line in we get pestered multiple times daily by scammers, marketing calls, former aquantences etc. But we turn them off until we need them when we go out, and every time an app asks for permission we decline, and many apps like google we dont install. . Most of us also have laptops we take out with us so we E mail each other as well. I dont trust the state at all its why when we stock up on food, fuel, kit etc we buy from multiple suppliers and try to pay cash where possible. This does not make us invisible online but it does reduce our footprint. Local p2p comms in the village between family members is some time done with tweaked UV5R radios. We do embrace cell phones but limit their use just like we wont have those listening devices like Alexa , Siri, Echo etc in the house nor smart TVs Biog Brother is moving ever further into our lives as it is AND only yesterday some left wing politician was saying that because mobiles help the state track the Corona virus spread its not enough and the leftist wants everryone data tag chipped with IM microchips.

I understand your concerns, trust me I am very skeptical of the government and big brother. However I am required to have a phone for work and without everyone else in the companies cooperation it will be impossible to ditch it and function at work. The point of this is if I'm being forced to have one use it to my advantage while I can
Yup my wife needs one for her work but its issued to her by the NHS, her own phone is a different matter.