Bug out bag advise

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Lubo

Bug out bag advise

Post by Lubo »

Hey all,

New to prepping and currently making my bug out bag, I was wandering if anyone here has a good ifak to recommend? I have basic first aid training but I would be okay with having more advanced stuff with me in case someone else had training to use it. For my sleeping kit I was thinking of going with a snug pack special forces bivvy, a poncho and a USA military issue poncho liner. Only thing is I’m finding it hard to find a reliable place to buy a military issue liner, does anyone know a good site? Seems to be a lot of fakes about
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Bug out bag advise

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

An ifac is generally made so you can start to save your own life before a medic / first aider turns up with a bigger kit to turn you into Tutankhamun....

So trauma bandage, celox , cat and a few sticking plasters and possibly a chest seal although it's not advised now to seal a chest wound ...

Go for a bivvie short camping mat and a decent sleeping bag... Look at the snugpack say a 3 season bag which will do you most times in the UK
https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/snugpak_eli ... 4QEALw_wcB

BUT and it's a big BUT.. .. will you actually need a bug out bag? As others on here will tell you running to the hills in the UK is a none starter in most situations ....

Your more likely to be turfed out of home due to some student setting the kitchen on fire in your digs leaving you crashing on a mates student flat floor, or some armed stand off / emergency evacuation of the street you live on and ending up in the local sports hall / community center

Sleeping mat is often better than a sofa ....

Or your taken ill and end up been admitted to hospital.. that big survival knife won't win you any friends in the hospital but change for the vending machine a wash kit (soap sponge toothbrush and paste) clean clothes and your own PJ's few books to read and a phone charger will make your life more comfortable

See from your intro your a student save your money for beer :lol: ;) :D
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Lubo

Post by Lubo »

Thanks for the reply Andy :)

Haha saving money for beer would be good, but I’m going to be studying in Japan for a year as part of a uni course and then moving to japan.

As there’s lots of natural disasters there I thought it would be best to get into the habit of prepping. I also love camping and going hiking so the gear would get some use. One of the reasons I was leaning more towards a bivvy bag and a poncho liner was because I was going for a more light setup and was going to use a poncho as a tarp. But a sleeping bag and a ground mat might be the better idea, I was just planning on shoving leaves in the bivvy if I was too uncomfortable 😂
Lubo

Post by Lubo »

Also when you say trauma bandage would you recommend a celox pad or an Israeli bandage? Or something else :)
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Assuming that one would only be bugging out for a short time and will at some point be returning home i'd say any bug out bag should contain all the relevant documentation pertaining to the home , deeds , insurance and the like . It can be carried digitally so no great weight or bulk and could be of great use when one returns home or to the smouldering ruins or scoured patch where the house once stood. If that's carried on something like a usb stick then if you have irreplaceable personal pictures , perhaps the kids as a newborn , add them too . Not essential to actual survival but something that can certainly help with morale.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Lubo: The Japanese take their emergency planning seriously, what other country designs the schools to be both earthquake proof and as Tsunami refuges ?
Check out "Kanpan"
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Lubo

Post by Lubo »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:17 pm Lubo: The Japanese take their emergency planning seriously, what other country designs the schools to be both earthquake proof and as Tsunami refuges ?
Check out "Kanpan"
Yes I’m aware, they send emergency books which instruct people to have an emergency bag in case they need to leave their home. So I’m mainly having a bug out bag for in case I need to leave my home in the event of an emergency, I don’t plan on sleeping in the woods but stuff that would help me help others would be useful aswell as stuff that will make sleeping in an evacuation centre more comfortable:) The more bushcraft items are for when I go hiking
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Lubo wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:11 am Also when you say trauma bandage would you recommend a celox pad or an Israeli bandage? Or something else :)

My personal favourite is the oales modular bandage
It's about a 3 in 1 it's not exactly compact to store however

https://www.prometheusmedical.co.uk/equ ... ar-bandage
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

This crossed my youtube path and while I don't have a 'BOB' 'locked and loaded and ready to go' this covers a lot of useful stuff. He talks about 'bug out locations' and the point of the bag, the point being to get you from A to B rather than using the contents of the bag to survive. Some of it is easy to do and I wholeheartedly agree with his 10th point, even if I'm just off for an overnighter I have plenty of stuff to bung me up and some stuff to 'unbung' me.

Hope its useful to those wanting a Bug Out Bag.

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Deeps wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:15 am I wholeheartedly agree with his 10th point, even if I'm just off for an overnighter I have plenty of stuff to ... 'unbung' me.
Utter necessity :oops: :lol: