Poncho Tents And Pop-Up Tents

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jansman

Re: Poncho Tents And Pop-Up Tents

Post by jansman »

I have a military poncho in my get home bag.It is for *emergency* situations.This thread was started by suggesting that a pop up tent might be good for bugging out in the Highlands of Scotland...and my reply was that,that's not a winning idea! :D

Bugging out is on my radar,but only to the nearest Premier/Holiday Inn *if* we were forced to leave here ( which would only be a mandatory evacuation 'cos of gas leak,armed sieges etc.) Living in the woods ain't happening for this bootneck!

Apart from the above,my worst case scenario is being stuck at work almost 15 miles away.Now,if it were a vehicle malfunction,I would just get a taxi or bus home.Simple.But if there were,say,civil unrest,and roads were shut,I would be yomping home ASAP.The small kit I have,has a military poncho,green plastic bivi bag and a *Real* space blanket,6'x4' with grommets.If I had to stop/lay low/rest or whatever,then these items give me ( in any order) shelter,groundsheet and sleeping bag.It all folds up nicely into a small space,and along with my other gear including food and water,( and the bag itself) comes in at 8lb 4oz.I don't want to be lugging a tent round either Raven!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Raven

Post by Raven »

jansman wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:44 am I don't want to be lugging a tent round either Raven!
Thank you Jansman - I genuinely appreciate your reply. ;)
Keep calm & carry on PREPPING :twisted:
jansman

Post by jansman »

You are welcome.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Raven wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:21 am Well I get what the others are saying the “ if your roughing it you’re doing it wrong” signature that somebody has leaps to mind.

But I disagree, with other stuff said in this chat.

Sometimes life just moves to fast and I don’t foresee the need or potential emergency to crop up that requires me to have a full blown tent in my car using up expensive fuel!
That will be me :mrgreen:

My car has a small down sleeping bag 2/ 3 season one and a bivvie bag (cheap apparently breathable one which was used about 8/ 9 years ago when I awaited recovery on the m62 embankment one winters night wouldn't have wanted to be there over night and a
Vango adventure tarp minus it's pole to keep the wind off and head end dry
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Cupid_Stunt

Post by Cupid_Stunt »

jansman wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:23 pm If you fled to the woods tonight doing YouTube tutorials, you would die. End of. This bug out fantasy amongst survivalist and Preppers is sooo tiresome. When I was 19 I joined HM Royal Marines. I served a couple of years, and did the usual survival training/ living in a ditch/ Arctic training. You know what? That life is crap. No way I would live like that, under canvas/ in the woods etc. I could do it again, as I know the ‘rules’, but I ain’t in a rush. Why Preppers think bugging out is the be all and end all , baffles me. If I left here, it would be to the Premier Inn up the road.
That's why I joined the RAF - I'd far rather check in than dig in.. ;)
Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not all out to get me