Unexpected Additional Survival Kit ?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Lone

Unexpected Additional Survival Kit ?

Post by Lone »

Whilst sorting out my cupboards, usual task during winter prepping for the year ahead, happened upon a quality modelling blade kit I acquired a while back, unused and spotless.

This consists of a click-shut box of scalpel-like handles and assorted blades for precision work...never got around to putting to work.

Now realised it is a quality kit worth adding to my prep stuff...uses I don’t know but definitely of value I think as some sort of emergency back-up...
jansman

Re: Unexpected Additional Survival Kit ?

Post by jansman »

'Kit' is all around you.For instance,a knife doesn't have to have the label ,'survival knife', to help you in an awkward situation.Any piece of steel with a sharp edge is a knife.Lost power at home,and cannot cook? Build a fire outside in the garden and use a pan from the kitchen.It doesn't have to be a Titanium- Special-Forces-Uber-Pot. It's all about using your environment and adapting to it. Less is More. ;)

Those modelling scalpels will be handy too.I always have,along with my Leatherman Wingman,a Wilkos folding 'Stanley' knife.Probably THE most used tool used for scoring pork,to cutting open boxes.I have one in my shooting jacket too,as it is perfect for gutting rabbits I have shot.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

"Improvise, adapt and overcome" as Gunny Highway tells us. :D
Lone

Post by Lone »

I guess I put these in the same category as the small set of precision screwdrivers I have...not a hardcore tool by any means, not really suited obviously for outdoor tasks, more for wiring plugs, etc.

That said, did notice how tiny the screws are on some of my prep stuff, guess saving space and making them a bit more secure and watertight...even had to use the specific three-part tool for my specs on occasion for some delicate work that larger screwdrivers couldn’t accomplish.

Added it to a key ring to have handy, along with a Miller bottle opener...no connection :D
jansman

Post by jansman »

Deeps wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:33 am "Improvise, adapt and overcome" as Gunny Highway tells us. :D
A favourite film!

Lone: those precision screwdrivers- perfect for mending spectacles, if you wear them. I have a spectacle repair kit, as without readers I cannot read, do woodwork, fish etc etc.

‘Survival’ gear is not about stuff needed to live in the woods ( god forbid), it’s about covering basic needs, which are quite simple really. Shelter, warmth, food and water. I am a fan of the American survival instructor Cody Lundin. He has two books out there, and once you have read them, you won’t bother with ‘survival’ books again.He concentrates on core body temperature. Without looking after that, no kit in the world will save you. His survival ‘kit’ is so simple, yet practical, it only weighs about 4 lbs. ok it is somewhat dated, but modern updates can be applied, and he actively encourages that. Worth a look. Less is more.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Lone

Post by Lone »

It’s what I call my pick-and-mix approach...acquiring a variety of things, storing in the one place...hopefully covering most eventualities, but grabbing the necessary items quickly from the selection available...rather than buy specifics..seeing less wasn’t enough.

I guess I do have a thought in the back of my mind about actually teaming up with others, so multiples of things and extra equipment could be dispersed amongst us...

...still adamant about not joining others...not the best at sharing with anyone...ever ! :evil:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Ha ha ! Sometimes you need other people... this week I needed my dentist! No man is an island.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:16 pm
A favourite film!

Lone: those precision screwdrivers- perfect for mending spectacles, if you wear them. I have a spectacle repair kit, as without readers I cannot read, do woodwork, fish etc etc.

‘Survival’ gear is not about stuff needed to live in the woods ( god forbid), it’s about covering basic needs, which are quite simple really. Shelter, warmth, food and water. I am a fan of the American survival instructor Cody Lundin. He has two books out there, and once you have read them, you won’t bother with ‘survival’ books again.He concentrates on core body temperature. Without looking after that, no kit in the world will save you. His survival ‘kit’ is so simple, yet practical, it only weighs about 4 lbs. ok it is somewhat dated, but modern updates can be applied, and he actively encourages that. Worth a look. Less is more.
The 'survival' thing is fine if that's your bag, I 'dabble', although I preferred that stuff as a younger man. Probably to prove myself to myself. Love my time out in the woods although I tend to bring plenty of luxuries these days.

While I 'get' the minimalist approach its hard, a lot harder than it looks in films etc, now I'm in my 50's its not something that appeals although I'm glad I've had a play at it. For stuff like that I prep so I don't have to slum it when I'm out in the woods or hills. Saying that..... as Grenfell said in another post, I don't see my running off to the woods as part of my proper preps. Potentially my gear and knowledge could be handy in the very unlikely event that running off to the woods actually comes to pass but its not really what and why I prep. In a prepping sense, I'm more grateful to my stores of food, water and tools, there is a crossover as my camping water filters, lighting options and huge amount of stoves and fuel :roll: could be utilised if the mains go off.

As you say Jansman, the stuff needed to live half reasonably in the woods is quite a bit, especially if you have folk with you who aren't really up to it. My wife has no illnesses or the like but would hate it, throw in my old mum who stays with us, or young kids.... You're best off staying to places with roofs (and preferably and Aga or the like) even after the Coronazombies.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Bang on mate! My only ‘survival’ kit is very minimal. My ‘bug out bag’ is a hold-all with clothes, toiletries, phone charger...Hotel bag.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:59 pm Ha ha ! Sometimes you need other people... this week I needed my dentist! No man is an island.
My next door neighbour chapped my door the other day to ask if he could put a ladder in my garden to better reach his guttering. Of course it wasn't an issue and long story short, while he was there he did my back guttering too (not a euphemism :P ). They're nice people and I've been for a drink with him before and he ended up doing my front guttering the next day (I wasn't aware) . They wouldn't take anything off me for it, reckoned it was just neighbuourly. He knocked my door again tonight to give me back an axe the missus lent him a while back, I told him to keep it. We also picked up a 120L barrel from another acquaintance for water storage at the allotment. As you say mate, no man is an island, I'd suggest having people skills 'post event' (assuming it happens) would be pretty handy as at the end of the day, you're still going to have to deal with people and their egos. Even if there's less people about.