Heavy Duty Metal Garden Cart With Mesh Sides

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
grenfell

Re: Heavy Duty Metal Garden Cart With Mesh Sides

Post by grenfell »

Yes the versatility was part of the argument i had with the engineer. It was at a re-enactment and i had my wheelbarrow with me ,medieval , wooden with a metal straked wooden wheel and the engineer was going on about how badly designed it was with the wheel at one end and how it would be much better with the wheel in the centre. He was right from an amount of effort required point of view but as i pointed out to him firstly this was what we historically had but equally importantly the european wheel barrow was more designed for shorter distance and was much easier to manoeuvre around farms , building sites , ports or even tents for that matter. For heavier long distance work we utilised animals.
To go back to the original idea it will increase the weight one person can shift easily . I've used one and at the place i used to work they would be used to take stone into the old masons shop where the forklift couldn't get. They are as you say hard work on inclines or for that matter soft muddy ground and as a "bug out vehicle" it may restrict one to roads but worth a go. I'd be tempted to do a simple test . Walk say a two mile route and time it , then try with an empty cart , and progress to a loaded cart and see how it affects the time and effort.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I read a book about the Victorian Navvies who dug the Grand Union Canal.They had huge wheelbarrows,and had yoke attachments to the handles to take the strain from their arms.Of course,they also had to be winched up gang planks,so the single wheel was perfect. What a fascinating topic!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

This has brought back memories of when my father was working at the local tip. He would sometimes work on sundays and totally unofficially i would go up to look after the place while he came home for his dinner. There was also another guy who helped him out again completely unofficially . He lived around four miles away and would arrive with his wheelbarrow which would slowly accumulate stuff gleaned from the skips. It was more of a uphill journey for him on the way back but doable.
That yoke is also shown in medieval manuscripts and i've made one for mine and yes they do help.
redskies

Post by redskies »

The one I'm after is one that is sturdy & will fold down.

(Haven't said anything here before, but, we're converting a vehicle, ditching the house & going mobile for a few years. A cart would be useful, we've been looking, but it has to fold down, cos space will be limited!)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Be wary of folding ‘carts’. Some guys turned up to take some foundry bricks off my hands. They brought with them a four wheeled folding truck , to save space in their motor. It collapsed and they used my wheelbarrow. At a place I worked, the boss got a folding sack barrow for the van. It was crap, and didn’t last five minutes. Might just save you a quid or two.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
redskies

Post by redskies »

Thank you!

We kinda figured we were going to end up forking out to get a decent one. Or persuading a family member with access to the kit to make us one!