Vacuum sealer

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Medusa

Vacuum sealer

Post by Medusa »

Currently at Aldi (with a 3 year guarantee) for £29.98 with bags.https://www.aldi.co.uk/vacuum-food-seal ... 0317404300 Refills of bags also available. Thought I would give one a go so ordered. Found a few cheaper ones on Amazon but couldnt find much on guarantee times. I'm sure there used to be a thread on here specifically for Aldi stuff, but couldnt see it.
Growing old disgracefully!
Plymtom

Re: Vacuum sealer

Post by Plymtom »

We had a morphy richards thing for about £20 years ago, it didn't last so we thought sod it and got one of these
https://www.andrewjamesworldwide.com/co ... ealer-p461
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Vacuum packers are a good idea in the food industry.We use heavy duty jobs that gas- flush as well.Down the years that equipment has saved a lot of work to me personally,and made/ saved money for my employers.

However,outside of the meat / food industry,people are not aware of the potential food poisoning risks when using vacuum packers.Technically,if you are packing ready-to-eat foods ( what we term 'High Risk'), the same equipment should not be used for raw,uncooked foods. We have to have seperate kit at work,the High Risk being in a seperate area over 'The Red Line'. Also,when packing food to store in the fridge,remember the 10 Day Rule.It's detailed below.

https://www.food.gov.uk/business-guidan ... -packaging
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
D&DD

Post by D&DD »

I managed to get a foodsaver from Lakeland in a sale but the cost of bags from them is nuts.
I did manage to pick up the jar sealing attachments for both the regular and widemouth jars for literally a pittance compared to what they're selling for now when I last looked the price had gone up substantially.
I got both for less than ten quid from Amazon!!!
I use it an awful lot now when I dehydrate stuff I use jars and can vacuum seal them and the food keeps perfectly for years if need be.
If I use mine to pack raw meat I always disinfect the whole machine after use by washing with hot soapy water then antibac sprays on the parts that can't be dunked.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

D&DD wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:39 pm I managed to get a foodsaver from Lakeland in a sale but the cost of bags from them is nuts.
I did manage to pick up the jar sealing attachments for both the regular and widemouth jars for literally a pittance compared to what they're selling for now when I last looked the price had gone up substantially.
I got both for less than ten quid from Amazon!!!
I use it an awful lot now when I dehydrate stuff I use jars and can vacuum seal them and the food keeps perfectly for years if need be.
If I use mine to pack raw meat I always disinfect the whole machine after use by washing with hot soapy water then antibac sprays on the parts that can't be dunked.
I got the foodsaver containers and attachment for kilner jars, inspired by Deeps I made some powdered mushrooms largely because I couldn't find Totole mushroom bouilon locally for about a year, I could get it online but the postage unless we did a bulk order made it a bit steep, what would you know I found some the following week in a chinese supermarket I hadn't found until then :lol: at least I got to play with the dehydrator for something other than drying brass though, Jansman asides from the mushroom powder and cheese I don't vac seal anything that isn't going to get a damn good heat up, the biggest advantage has been space saving, buying meat in those trays ( which allow fairly rapid deterioration ) from supermarkets- I portion stuff up into bags, the other thing only which I find a pain is being a family of 5 is that it is rare to find anything you can buy for all of us which doesn't leave you with a spare, it's all 2's, 4's, and 6's. Our sealer has removable seals which get an anti bacterial wash when any liquid does get sucked into the tray, I have been a lot more careful since my wife used some opened mayo a few years back and got food poisoning, anything like that now gets the opened date marked on it with a sharpie, there's noting like a case of ( non fatal but pretty nasty) food poisoning to make one up the anti and be vigilant is there?
D& DD - Andrew James often does offers on the bags, plus there are other sources which work well enough for short term storage - so long as they have that chequered effect and are not fag paper thin.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.