BOB Multi Tool

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
DundeePrepper

Re: BOB Multi Tool

Post by DundeePrepper »

Deeps wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:55 pm
DundeePrepper wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:04 am I'm currently building BOB's for myself and partner - looking for advice on a Multi Tool (Plier type arrangement - or other setup if recommended).

I want something sturdy and reliable, long lasting one will likely be used quite frequently. Covering all the basic tools, knife, spanner, screwdriver etc etc. Can you guys point me in a decent direction, needs to be legal carry UK too so no samurai stuff haha :tinfoil but equally I need it to be useful not a survival toy off of eBay or the likes.

Brand recommendations would be really helpful - appreciate it!
Whatever works for you but a BOB is a bag of stuff that you want to be of decent quality because you'll be depending on it if you need to use the bag in anger. A lot of the stuff would be better out the bag and getting used, at least for me. I don't have a BOB for those reasons, I could put together a fair few from my hoard of camping/walking gear but its stuff I use. Like some others I've got a 'GHB' which for me doubles up as a grab bag if I need to evacuate in a hurry to a sports centre for the night or whatever but a BOB, nah, I couldn't be bothered having to rummage through it for a sleeping bag or whatever every time I went camping/walking.

Just my 2 pence worth, go for it if you feel the need for one.

I pretty much agree I’m building more of a go bag I guess. Practical stuff - but they will both have sleeping bags lol... simply for the weather and roads up here, more of a stuck in the car or an “oh let’s go out for a hike day” beers are always involved so nice to have the bits in the bags if it all goes a bit pear shaped
Newbie Prepper
The ability to foresee is not reserved for Psychics and Lunatics. The mind is predisposed to see the future from its own past.
- Unknown Author
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I've looked at and handled leathermans and other than the pliers i didn't see that much advantage over the spartan swiss army knife i carry . As i have a pair of pliers ( evidently linesmans p!iers , there's a thread about it somewhere) either on me or close by i left things as they are , helps that i couldn't see the point of spending just to replicate what i already have. I used the sak this morning , the screwdriver blade to be exact although that tooth pick comes out frequently too.
Something else i'll chuck in is a folding spade. Ok so a bit big for the pocket but i find one to be a most useful tool. I use mine almost on a weekly basis. The one i use regulary is the simple blade held in place by a threaded ring and is either a spade , pick or folded against the handle for carrying. It's a korean made tool and looks to be a copy of a number of military entrenching tools.
On that section about what is an isn't illegal i see mention of blowpipes. That takes me back to my early days of work where people would have "battles" using putty pipes which were simply lengths of 1\2inch copper pipe . Putty , or better still plumbers mate , was rolled into balls and shot out of these pipes. Could come with quite a sting too.
jansman

Post by jansman »

My GHB contains my Swiss Army ' Hunter',a nice lean tool.I am a fan of both SAK and Leatherman tools. On the latter,the pliers ARE the draw,but the can opener is better ( imo) than the SAK.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.