Knife Sharpener

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc

Knife Sharpener

Post by Post »

I’m looking at buying a proper knife sharpener, mainly the victorinox pocket sharpener for about £10. As it will fit in my EDC pouch.

Does anyone have one or recommend another type?
korolev

Re: Knife Sharpener

Post by korolev »

Being a bit of a knife nut, I have :
Waterstones in various grits up to 8000 - very good but takes a while to learn
Lansky guided sharpener - gives a good, razor sharp, polished edge. Easy to use.
Worksharp electric sharpener - very easy to use but if not careful you can remove too much steel (I rounded the tip of a nice Spyderco :evil: )
Lansky 4 rod turn box - easy to use and get good results but no good for repairs/reprofiling.
Lansky pocket sharpener - The diamond file and ceramic "v" good for touching up but I avoid the carbide "v"
Victorinox pocket sharpener - good for touch up on the go.

I would say that the victorinox is worth getting as long as you have another method of reprofiling/repairing (if you need it)
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I'm a self confessed blade addict.

I use diamond 'stones' in a range of grits, however I don't tend to bother going finer then 600 even on my straight-razors (although I do strop those heavily) . Mostly because I believe that an edge should last longer then the time it takes to create and seeing as I cut a lot of cardboard, plastic and other assorted cr@p I'm kinda hard on my blades.

I have a Lansky system (the three stone set plus a ultra fine sapphire ) that I picked up in trade, I can't get on with it. I think its because I've spent over thirty years hand honing.... Sometime soon I'll find a new home for it.

In my field kit I have a plastic handled diamond rod (sort of like the picture), thats light and easy to carry (and also sharpens my hook-knives)

I avoid any of those fixed 'V' type sharpeners mainly because I'm used to free-hand and you can't with those.

Now I've flexed my Google and seen the Victorinox you mentioned I might have to get one
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

Butcher of 37 years, oilstone and steel. Done.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.

Post by Post »

I’ve ordered one of the Victorinox pocket sharpeners, should be here tomorrow and I’ll post to let people know what it’s like.

Post by Post »

It came today and it’s half decent, it sharpens which is what I wanted, probably get a better edge from better equipment like oil stones etc but it does a good enough job.
fileyprepper

Post by fileyprepper »

this is a complete tangent but aldi have an electric knife sharpener on sale now for 14.99.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/multi-functional ... 6284317100

disclaimer:
i am in no way connected to aldi, lidl, poundland or any other shop. :)
Fileyprepper