Re-purpose fish tanks?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
peejay

Re-purpose fish tanks?

Post by peejay » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:04 am

I should hopefully be moving house soon and have been having a good clear out as you can imagine though it does go against my hoarding tendencies! :-)

One thing I've had lurking around in the lock-up garage for years is a couple of fish tanks (one above the other in a purpose-made metal stand) from our fish-keeping days.

Can anyone think of a vaguely sensible reason to keep them? Anything preppy I can do with them regards water, e.g. perhaps a pre-filter for seriously nasty water (with perhaps an aquarium filter with all levels down to charcoal) to work with the nastiest water prior to dropping into a Berkey or similar?

If no great ideas then I'll likely gift them on the local boards, just want to make sure I'm not missing a trick (I have WAY more room at the new house than I do here so I don't /have/ to get rid, but I will have to move them if I keep them.

[Edit: BTW the tanks are, from memory, about 70L each]

jansman

Re: Re-purpose fish tanks?

Post by jansman » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:04 pm

I am purging possessions at the moment. We own way too much stuff here. So I would say, get rid.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

pseudonym

Post by pseudonym » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:38 pm

Turn it into a mini green house for herbs and such.
The roads are pretty bad and if you do end up getting stuck its hard to justify your reason for being on the roads as 'vegan mince for a feckin' princess'.

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:38 pm

If you decided to grow microgreens in the house (during a winter pandemic when you still wanted fresh greens, for instance) you could use it for the greens themselves, or you could use it as a reservoir for the nutrient water, if you were growing them without soil.

Congratulations on the move!
My blog (all mended now) www.preparednessfactandfiction.co.uk
There are some Amazon affiliate links in this blog

Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:13 pm

Good series here, put some fish in one, use the fish to fertilise the plants and the plants to clean then fish water.

https://youtu.be/P3gtNKRRVjA

peejay

Post by peejay » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:19 pm

The new house actually has a greenhouse already so we're covered on that front but Hydroponics could be interesting, hmm...