Compact Bow Saw

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
TLB

Compact Bow Saw

Post by TLB »

So, quite a few years ago I bought off of Amazon this product:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-Fuchs-Buck ... B00BPO5SXE

This week at my schools Year 6 camp it looked like the second group weren't going to have a fire due to lack of wood. So I thought it would be a good time to see if this could stand up to any abuse (yes I know, I've waited too long to test it properly in a real life situation) so out of it's cubby hole it came and within a minute I'd remembered how to build it and found a nice dead tree.

I have to say, really impressed by it. The fact it packs down to a tube that is about 40cm long and about 3cm wide is brilliant, the fact the blade and the handle held fast and gave me no problems whilst sawing about 20 odd logs amazed me even more.

Thought I'd share, if anyone has any questions or want more info in detail, let me know.
Deeps

Re: Compact Bow Saw

Post by Deeps »

I tried to buy one a few years back off Amazon and for some reason it fell through, I've been using a cheap Aldi folding garden saw and a kukri for wood prepping, I do like the look of those though, its still on my list. Glad it worked for you.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Not seen tat actual saw before but on the link are more traditional bow saws with the tensioning rope at the top . Those I'm more familiar with and I'm happy with those so I would think a higher tec one would be ok too ( even if it's a tad more expensive) .
TLB

Post by TLB »

grenfell wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:31 pm Not seen tat actual saw before but on the link are more traditional bow saws with the tensioning rope at the top . Those I'm more familiar with and I'm happy with those so I would think a higher tec one would be ok too ( even if it's a tad more expensive) .
It's more that this saw packs away into the handles that makes it attractive to me. I have 4 of the normal bow saws, the metal curved type which I use for heavy duty use at home but I didn't have one that was compact.

This is is about 2.5cm wide by 40cm long and weights nothing. Good for a BOB, car bag etc. It's a shame the pictures don't really show it, there is one that shows the blade outside but the blade goes inside quite nicely, plus it doesn't rattle either.

:)
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Ah right , I didn't realise it packed away like that . Perhaps I didn't read everything :oops: That makes it interesting.