Spectacles

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jansman

Spectacles

Post by jansman »

I am far from unique in having to wear reading specs.However,last week a pair went terminal,and today a pair fell apart as I took them from their case at work.Fortunately I was able to repair them...when I got home and got my spare pair,and could see what I was doing! :lol: Anyhow,my point is,that if you rely on glasses,make sure you have spares.Mine are simple reading glasses,but my wife has varifocals ( about £200 a pop!), but I insisted that she have a spare pair,because without them she is scuppered.So am I.

It doesn't have to be SHTF,although in that situation,without specs,you would be at a serious disadvantage I reckon.I shall be seeing the Eye Vet next week to get a couple more pairs.

...just my ramblings.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Spectacles

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Select specs do generic glasses via your perscription glasses starting at £6 ! Plus p&p
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:57 pm Select specs do generic glasses via your perscription glasses starting at £6 ! Plus p&p
Thanks Andy.My daughter uses them.I must take a look.

Robert Frost.

Me.
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

It’s a good point, have just got my first pair of varifocals and they were £340 it is amazing though how I thought my distance vision was ok then putting these on made me realise how bad it really was.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I got my peepers mustered on friday and my vision has deteriorated slightly, I'm now on about 1.75 reading glasses which tend to be more expensive than the really cheap ones I have dotted around the house. I might have to push the boat out and get some of those 'expensive' ones from Select Specs.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

jansman wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:53 pm I am far from unique in having to wear reading specs.However,last week a pair went terminal,and today a pair fell apart as I took them from their case at work.Fortunately I was able to repair them...when I got home and got my spare pair,and could see what I was doing! :lol: Anyhow,my point is,that if you rely on glasses,make sure you have spares.Mine are simple reading glasses,but my wife has varifocals ( about £200 a pop!), but I insisted that she have a spare pair,because without them she is scuppered.So am I.

It doesn't have to be SHTF,although in that situation,without specs,you would be at a serious disadvantage I reckon.I shall be seeing the Eye Vet next week to get a couple more pairs.

...just my ramblings.
Same goes for hearing aids, I've always got a spare around with plenty of batteries, usually next to my spare glasses. :lol:
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jansman

Post by jansman »

Hearing aids.Now there is another issue...

Robert Frost.

Me.
TLB

Post by TLB »

I'm a selectspecs fan, not promoting them but I moved away from the whole buying your glasses from the people who tested my eyes when some high street based ones screwed up majorly. One took over an hour to see me after my test, one got my order completely wrong twice so I found a nice traditional opticians who were happy to supply with my test results. Then I went on to the web and placed my order. £30 instead of the usual £240 so I ordered 2. I now have 5 pairs spare in various places :)

With regards to hearing aids, I'm sure I need them but I'm in denial at the moment... I do have some generic hearing aids though. Primarily for when I was camping with the scouts and we were playing hide and seek in the woods etc. Great way to boost your hearing. Cheating I hear you say? Depends on your definition :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

I am due an eye test next week. I shall get an update, sort a couple of pairs of reading specs... but in the meantime I have been using cheapo .99p 2.0 strength jobs. They have worked VERY well, and I have a pair on me, at work, in the work shop and in my fishing box. I shall make sure a pair goes in my GHB, although in the Old School survival tin is a Fresnel - style lens, which would do in a pinch.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:46 pm I am due an eye test next week. I shall get an update, sort a couple of pairs of reading specs... but in the meantime I have been using cheapo .99p 2.0 strength jobs. They have worked VERY well, and I have a pair on me, at work, in the work shop and in my fishing box. I shall make sure a pair goes in my GHB, although in the Old School survival tin is a Fresnel - style lens, which would do in a pinch.
We're at the same stage with the specs dotted around mate. I keep a fresnel in my wallet as an ultimate backup too. Bought a load of cheap ones but haven't figured out what to do with them yet so in with the rest of my 'just in case' stuff.