actually that could be useful.

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
izzy_mack

actually that could be useful.

Post by izzy_mack »

I bought a new wheelbarrow because my old one is still going but getting dodgy and one load too heavy may well see it out, so i'm ready for that day.
It occurred to me that in a shtf situation a wheelbarrow would be useful. If you had to carry water or firewood from a distance it would mean you could cart more and further. If someone was hurt,eg sprained an ankle you could carry them. With a bit of thought there's loads it would be useful for, which got me thinking of everyday objects that we take for granted but could be used for other things. Any suggestions?
Arwen Thebard

Re: actually that could be useful.

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Aluminium ladders can be used to make a decent stretcher.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:06 pm Aluminium ladders can be used to make a decent stretcher.
They're also useful for you're trying to move sheets of plywood and the like on a roofrack.

You'd be surprised at the number of things I've moved on a skateboard
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I have an old-lady-type shopping trolley :oops: and it's **really** strong. I've carted 90 litre bags of bark chippings about on it. I don't know quite why it's over-engineered to that extent, but I'm glad it is.
jansman

Post by jansman »

We bought a wheelbarrow as a wedding present for two of our dearest friends.They reckon its the most useful present they got! My property could not function without one,for sure. Mine is used for compost,soil,coal and mixing small batches of mortar/ concrete.

Another very useful item is the plastic builders bucket.You cannot have enough of them!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:52 am I have an old-lady-type shopping trolley :oops: and it's **really** strong. I've carted 90 litre bags of bark chippings about on it. I don't know quite why it's over-engineered to that extent, but I'm glad it is.
Is it because granny's were way ahead of us in carrying around a supply of tinned food? :lol:
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

izzy_mack wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:25 am
It occurred to me that in a shtf situation a wheelbarrow would be useful. If you had to carry water or firewood from a distance it would mean you could cart more and further. If someone was hurt,eg sprained an ankle you could carry them.
I have built a couple of medieval wheelbarrrows , they're essentially a wooden version of modern wheelbarrows ( or should that be a modern wheelbarrrow is a metal version of a wooden one? ) . On re-enactments they are a magnet for the kids wanting a ride and I've been daft enough to push a barrrow with three of them on it around a field on more than one occasion. It's a tad knackering after a short while. While it's easier than carrying stuff on your shoulder they're not ideal for long journeys . For that a Chinese wheelbarrow is the tool ,
https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2011/12 ... arrow.html
Really must get round to making one of those too.
Agree with the plastic buckets jansman. I used to work in restoration and lime putty was used a lot and came in large , up to around knee high , lidded plastic buckets. When we moved house I had over a hundred of them and loaded all sorts into them and that meant they could just stand outside clearing up space inside the house.
As. To everyday objects we take for granted , tools and rope . I have made tools myself in the past and had a dabble with rope so I know the principal at least. But iff I had to make rope it would be a time consuming process , time that could be better spent doing something else.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:11 pm 'm considering one of these
I've got a similiar one, my little red wagon, it's very useful too. Agree about the buckets, after carting water for months I'm very grateful to them. The kind with lids are great, I have several square ones which I use for storing sugar,pasta,rice etc. they stack and keep the damp out.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Definitely picking up the ball and running with it but a pond. Even our wee garden pond has about a 1000L in it, and fish.... not a great deal of eating on them but a couple of them could maybe fill a tin of tuna. On a slightly grander scale though, a foot deeper, a couple foot wider, that's a lot more water... and the fish would be a bit bigger.

Edit to add, that's not my garden pond, just a generic pond, my garden ain't that big. :(