Food dehydration

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
PrepperMumUK

Food dehydration

Post by PrepperMumUK »

I love the freeze dried food from fuel your prep (and previously from mountain) it is a great way to store food with a long shelf life, but the cost is less than appetising... I have recently seeing some you tube posts about dehydrating prepared meals at home, anyone with experience? Is it worth? What would be the average shelf life?

Also, thinking about investing in a small/portable wood fired oven... any advice?

Thank you and happy prepping :-)

(Just finished reading Last Light and After Light, and it just makes me want to tripple preppare)...
ForgeCorvus

Re: Food dehydration

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Hiya P.Mum
Dehydrators, recipes and How-to's are all covered in the sub-board "Food, Nutrition and Agriculture " lower down.
I'm pretty sure that a couple of us have given that a try

It never ceases to amaze me just how much people on here know..... Normally by trial & error
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I dehydrate a fair bit, both single ingredients and meals. I tend to do veggie meals as fat is your enemy, it goes rancid quicker than the rest. My wife is a veggie so its not a biggy for me, I use Quorn mince is an easy substitute and I make wok-fulls of bolognese or chilli. I make sure the ingredients are all chopped quite small for an even dry and as the finished article is quite 'spikey' you need to break it down and I use kitchen towel between two layers of vacc seal bags to stop it piercing the bags. As Forge has said, have a look in the scran section, loads of dehydrating stuff, as for longevity, I've eaten meals that I've made over two years before. Give it a go, you can get a cheap dehydrator for 30 quid or so and just go for it loads of info on youtube as well.
PrepperMumUK

Post by PrepperMumUK »

Thank you so much for both responses. I will look at the food section :-)

Happy prepping!