Radios and walkie talkies

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
hedgerowpete

Re: Radios and walkie talkies

Post by hedgerowpete »

Hedgerowpete knows his stuff for sure and a good guy too.
Nice to see you online posting hedgerowpete .
Catch up soon hopefully for a balti at the usual little B .
Atvb

Hello shaggers, how are we all?
as you can see i have come back on line again

but here not over the other side anymore.
about time we went on a curry night
easy rider

Post by easy rider »

hedgerowpete wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:43 pm Hedgerowpete knows his stuff for sure and a good guy too.
Nice to see you online posting hedgerowpete .
Catch up soon hopefully for a balti at the usual little B .
Atvb

Hello shaggers, how are we all?
as you can see i have come back on line again

but here not over the other side anymore.
about time we went on a curry night
For sure , will try and sort something out at a time convenient to your work and social diary.
Trust you guys are v well !.
Yep were all cushty here at present pushing on.

Atvb for now.

Great to see your back ,legend !!.
easy rider

Post by easy rider »

hedgerowpete wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:38 pm
korolev wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:42 am Pete,
sounds like you know your stuff, what do you reckon to a handheld CB (midland Alan) ? Are they ok for a bit of messing around whilst out and about ?
to be honest, never used a cb hand held on a car type on and a lead acid brick. i am sure if you ask on the facebook cb radio pages someone will have, some of the car radio ones are tiny anyway

I have a couple handheld cb radios, used them in cars,portable,and as a base radio.
The midland Alan 42 and moonraker 42 are simular. Both do am fm uk eu 40 .
I'm aware both are expandable to cover more frequencies , but I think the moonraker 42 is simpler to do and I think off the front buttons .

They both transmit 4watts so is same as most cb radio mobile units. Both I think have a 12v dc plug socket so using off a fag lighter is ideal in car.
You will be able to buy a adapter to connect a external antenna to the one fitted on radio so would make a mobile radio ,portable radio or base radio.

One of my gripes with these two is battery cases.one takes 6AA primary cells, the other type takes 8nihm .
This to me means you need the 8battery case to use both 6 primary and two dummy batts or 8 nihms.

I prefer to be able to use all battery options.
Some other hand held radios will hold more AA batts like 10 .but not all do am fm or the eu uk 40 so 80 channel.
Personally I prefer the eurosonic es200 LCD ,only a 40UK fm radio but good solid radio 30/40£ used good condition.
Others to consider maycom ah27, danita 608, moonraker 42 ,eurosonic ultimate 80channel.es 200 led .
A quirky radio to also consider the midland portapack with battery pack and built in antenna, however antennas can be damaged.

Plenty options and these are legal no licence required.
Many many other radio options and some mobile units little bigger than couple fag packets and are expandable .

But in answer to the question the midland will be good for com's locally , connect it through a 50£ linear amp kl203 ? and a good base antenna you will achieve a 20-60 mile contacts .radio alone good base antenna 10-20miles ish .maybe more your location permitting and base antenna v high up
Mobile 5-10 or more with a good sirio 3000-4000 , portable 2-5miles. On a hill a lot further.
So many variables ,their are no exact figures for transmission distances ,equipment,power,antenna type,local hills buildings so on even weather .
Have fun