Fire lighting.

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
hedgerowpete

Re: Fire lighting.

Post by hedgerowpete » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:05 am

its one of my greatest weaknesses, once i gave up smoking the huge amount of lighters i had spread every where disappeared, its now a physical effort to remember them in kit

Deeps

Post by Deeps » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:44 am

hedgerowpete wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:05 am
its one of my greatest weaknesses, once i gave up smoking the huge amount of lighters i had spread every where disappeared, its now a physical effort to remember them in kit
Don't know if something like this would be of any use to you mate.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/True-Utility-F ... ut+lighter

I keep one on my keyring, I try and put a proper lighter in my pocket when I head out too.

grenfell

Post by grenfell » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:22 am

Nurseandy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:24 am
Now, this may get light heartedly controversial but its something I've always wondered about - why bother taking Maya dust, tinder, magnesium rods etc etc when if you're going prepared why not just take a box of firelighters?
Well some already do , or something very much like , and to borrow a paraphrased line "love the smell of hexi in the mornings".
As to the answer to your reckon there's a couple of answers. Pertaining to the smell some don't like that aspect it's true , others will cite the availability in the long term , or the keeping alive of old skills all of which do have a validly
But I tend to think a portion of it is down to oneupmanship , being able to do something te hard way so to speak. Why do some start fires by rubbing sticks together ,why do some climb mountains , or BASE jump or swim the channel ? Because they can and the majority either don't or 'can't or won't.
Personally I have lighter , matches and ferry rods but most of the time it's the former getting used.

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:37 pm

I'll be the first to admit I'm a bit of a 'Bushie' but I've never yet managed Fire From Friction (3F if you want yet another acronym ;) ), a clipper lighter is part of my EDC and if I'm camping or WHY I normally pack a spare (and a back-up spare....... and a spare back-up spare :oops: ).
Thing is, a lot of bushcraft is about using 'Primitive' techniques. Not because they're 'better' (because quite often they are not) but because you can.
I have seen several bushcrafter's gear-lists that include stuff like mini gas torches, firelighters or road flares for the times when you must have a fire right now.

What we're about is different.

For me its:
Lighters for general burney-stuff
Matches for alcohol stoves and oil lamps (because its easier to poke a burning stick downwards and you don't cremate your fingers)
Flint&Steel at re-enactments (its all part of the show)
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
Tak wrote:"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
CheeseGate :D

Area 4, bordering 5