vac-packing existing bags of food?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jennyjj01

vac-packing existing bags of food?

Post by jennyjj01 »

Question:
I have lots of dried foodstuffs: Rice, soya, herbs etc that comes in sealed plastic bags. Many of those bags have lots of air in them, or maybe nitrogen, and when compressed they might pop.
So.... Is there any mileage in piercing the bag and popping the lot in a vacuum sealed bag. There's the cost of the bag and the reduced volume and superior pest control, but is it worth it and might it extend shelf life. Or might compacting down the grains or powder cause damage?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Re: vac-packing existing bags of food?

Post by jansman »

If I were to vac pack, say pasta,then yes, I would pierce the bag first. As for extending life of product,I don’t think it will make h much difference to the date on the original pack( OP)Storing in OP in cool , dark place is best.

Vac packin was devised for fresh food originally. Officially, no vac packed fresh food is to be kept more than ten days.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Something else to consider with vacc sealing is the contents, if they have sharp/pointy bits then they can pierce the bag, I double bag with a layer of kitchen towel inbetween with some stuff.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Deeps wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:30 pm Something else to consider with vacc sealing is the contents, if they have sharp/pointy bits then they can pierce the bag, I double bag with a layer of kitchen towel inbetween with some stuff.
I realise that, though I'd hope the existing bag would mitigate that problem.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:48 pm I realise that, though I'd hope the existing bag would mitigate that problem.
Fair one, it took me a couple of mishaps to suss it.
Oh, got a tin of jackfruit to try as well.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Deeps wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:23 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:48 pm I realise that, though I'd hope the existing bag would mitigate that problem.
Fair one, it took me a couple of mishaps to suss it.
Oh, got a tin of jackfruit to try as well.
Enjoy the Jackfruit.
Bear in mind it pretty much has no flavour of ts own You are buying the illusion of meat plus the fibre and vitamins. I read one feedback where the reviewer basically said "Nothing Like Meat" and another reviewer called him out for being an idiot.
Pulling it and shallow frying it, with a bit of stock/seasoning is the way to go. Then treat it as cooked meat and add back to any sauce.... Or maybe marinade it. I reckon it knocks soya mince or chunks into a cocked hat, but with less protien. I emptied the local sainsburys of their stock, which was stupidly next to other tinned fruits..
Deeps... I do hope you report back on your 'speriment with it. I'd value your perspective even if it doesn't work for you. With hindsight, if you try my recipe, I recommend that you process the JF a bit first as per instructions on the can or on the internet.

Reviews
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ja ... s#section1

Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:25 am Enjoy the Jackfruit.
Bear in mind it pretty much has no flavour of ts own You are buying the illusion of meat plus the fibre and vitamins. I read one feedback where the reviewer basically said "Nothing Like Meat" and another reviewer called him out for being an idiot.
Pulling it and shallow frying it, with a bit of stock/seasoning is the way to go. Then treat it as cooked meat and add back to any sauce.... Or maybe marinade it. I reckon it knocks soya mince or chunks into a cocked hat, but with less protien. I emptied the local sainsburys of their stock, which was stupidly next to other tinned fruits..
Deeps... I do hope you report back on your 'speriment with it. I'd value your perspective even if it doesn't work for you. With hindsight, if you try my recipe, I recommend that you process the JF a bit first as per instructions on the can or on the internet.

Reviews
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ja ... s#section1
Cheers Jenny, I'll report back. Had a nose online for inspiration and I'll check with Her Maj, she's a bit more inspired than I am in the kitchen. Got my mum staying for a bit so I'm not sure when I'll get round to it, hopefully at the weekend.