Cooking - bugging in

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Deeps

Re: Cooking - bugging in

Post by Deeps »

Proverbs2712 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:27 pm My first port of call for a SHTF situation where there were issues in such I would bug in and cook would result in all the reduced meat coming out the freezer, defrosting and then one big BBQ! I don't have a large barbeque but a few of the small portable ones.
Something to consider apre apocalypse is food smells, if your neighbours are on the hungry/starving side and your house/garden is pushing out cooking smells then you might get a knock at the door.
Proverbs2712

Post by Proverbs2712 »

That is certainly something to be aware of. I meant I'd do it as soon as I suspected it was time. I suppose that would be if the power had been down for the time it takes for the freezer to start thawing out and then the time it takes the for to defrost. Maybe I'd share the BBQ, as a bit of a gesture. I don't consider the freezer food as a prep and it could help further down the line.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Proverbs2712 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:03 pm That is certainly something to be aware of. I meant I'd do it as soon as I suspected it was time. I suppose that would be if the power had been down for the time it takes for the freezer to start thawing out and then the time it takes the for to defrost. Maybe I'd share the BBQ, as a bit of a gesture. I don't consider the freezer food as a prep and it could help further down the line.
Totally agree on the sharing of the food that needs eating in the short term, might as well curry favour (if you excuse the pun) with those around you, some will be in the same position but some not, might as well use it as a chance to bond, you might be stuck with each other. If you re staying put then you'll be all over each others business anyway I suspect.
angeuk

Post by angeuk »

I have to bug in, no other viable alternative. So after reading this thread, I've taken delivery of some gel fuel. I'd imagine it'll take a while to actually cook with, but I'll give it a go this afternoon.

Looking forward to it.