Cooking - bugging in

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
moominmama

Cooking - bugging in

Post by moominmama »

hi,

so, stocking up on food and household items, just finished over the counter medicines and personal care, horray to me!

i am now thinking about how to cook, it would be for 2 adults and 1 child, we do not have a lot of storage, the space that i use to store this takes up space that would otherwise be for stockpile. i am hesitant about gas stoves as we have a young child, and the storage for gas canisters - is this wrong?

and am considering a few options, below - do you have any thoughts on these or suggestions for alternatives

TOMSHOO Camping Stove/Backpacking Stove and windshield Backpacking Stove for Outdoor Hiking Picnic BBQ
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078Q6THFK/ ... 3b854cfe0e

kelly kettle - because get hot water as well as cooking
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aluminium-Base ... MWM8WDA08W
jansman

Re: Cooking - bugging in

Post by jansman »

I have a couple of ' bistro' type stoves for normal powercut situations.I store them outside in a brick store room,and gas too.I wouldnever store gas indoors,and you are right to think that way.I have a trangia,that burns methylated spirit.I like that one very much. A kelly kettle for hot water - tea and shaving- both important to me! We also have a brick rocket stove out in the yard,where we have barbecues.If we were using that though,we are in a real shtf situation! Oh yes,don't forget matches/ disposable lighters.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Kelly kettles are brilliant but not the best for cooking on, can be done using the support to balance a pan on top the stove and I have on many occasions butbwouldnt be too keen with a child around.
If you dont want gas have you thought about using fire gel? The blocks are pretty safe and can be used indoors and no moving parts on the stove to break.
Something like "fire dragon gel blocks". Not the cheapest but if you hunt about you can buy in bulk to get an acceptable price. The fuel also lasts forever and burns in all conditions.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Don't burn fuel like that indoors.The potential for a fire is there.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Hi Jansman, not sure we're talking about the same thing, the fire dragon blocks contained within an appropriate burner on a non flammable surface are as safe as any open flame, which of course has an inherent risk. Arguably safer than a trangia as if knocked over the fuel won't spill.
Just my two pennies worth, and as ever we do our own research and make our own decisions.
Prepping_Al

Post by Prepping_Al »

My personal bug in cooking plan is using 2 suitcase style stoves currently stored in the garage along with the gas. I am going to get at least 1 more plus a few more canisters.
I want to keep our bug in as close to normal life and a couple of gas burners are easy to use and worked when we had no stove for a couple weeks. We already have co detectors and can open a window when it's on.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Nurseandy wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:49 pm Hi Jansman, not sure we're talking about the same thing, the fire dragon blocks contained within an appropriate burner on a non flammable surface are as safe as any open flame, which of course has an inherent risk. Arguably safer than a trangia as if knocked over the fuel won't spill.
Just my two pennies worth, and as ever we do our own research and make our own decisions.
If it’s in an army dragon stove, I would not use it indoors. God knows there are enough house fires caused by bloody candles! I had a bimbo neighbour... another story. Plus we have to consider carbon monoxide. I know the chance is minimal, but it has to be said. This is not directed at anyone, but some folks are not blessed with common sense.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I would +1 the gel fuel if you don't have much space. I have cooked a fry up with one as well as heating up water and heating up tins. It's not rocket assisted, but is very safe as it is in a solid state and suitable for indoor burning and can be used in any trangia type burner or in a pinch, a dollop on a piece of tinfoil in a hexi stove but that was camping. Although I also have a couple of briefcase style stoves and a mini briefcase stove, which I could not in all conscience recommend as it's crap :D
But as Nurseandy says, do your own research.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Id look in to something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Highlander-GAS ... lp_pl_dp_3

ok its a bit bigger than most but...

Its stable

having a grill it opens up more meal potential

you can use it on a worktop

its got its own igniter

providing its working correctly its safe as it can be 1000's of caravans and campers use them year in year out....

only drawback it needs a gas bottle and regulator the stability alone gives it a huge plus have you any storage at all outside for a small gas bottle (i keep any flamables outside the house) a gas bottle will stash in a shed almost indefinitely (if you have a shed of course)

https://www.getoutwiththekids.co.uk/cam ... -cylinder/

and a regulator which pushes on the rubber hose then secure of a worm drive clip (jublie clip )

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/pennine-le ... el-p125933

if you visit a go outdoors shop they are usually fairly good calor contracts can be pricely but keep an eye on facebook for local sellers clearing out their garage...

i have one of these but NO way would i use it inside

https://www.towsure.com/double-burner-d ... KeEALw_wcB
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Brambles wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:20 pm I would +1 the gel fuel if you don't have much space. I have cooked a fry up with one as well as heating up water and heating up tins. It's not rocket assisted, but is very safe as it is in a solid state and suitable for indoor burning and can be used in any trangia type burner or in a pinch, a dollop on a piece of tinfoil in a hexi stove but that was camping. Although I also have a couple of briefcase style stoves and a mini briefcase stove, which I could not in all conscience recommend as it's crap :D
But as Nurseandy says, do your own research.

i use BQ's gel in mine as its cheap.... similar to this https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/firedragon ... brain.shop
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine