Slime “Skabs”

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
PrepperPete

Slime “Skabs”

Post by PrepperPete »

Hi all, just thought I’d make a quick comment about these..

I picked some up at Halfords for bike repair kit (https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-m ... ck-patches) and they’re amazingly good for an easy puncture repair.

Admittedly, they’re not super cheap (around £3.49 for a pack of six) but when you get a flat tyre, it’s a lot easier than the old patch and glue kits!

The other use I’ve put them to is repairing small holes in tents - discovered a (2-3mm) rip in my tent roof and one of these, applied over the top, has done a fantastic job of sealing it up.

Anyway, I’ve now got a couple of packs squirrelled away for similar “running repairs” on kit.

Cheers
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Slime “Skabs”

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I used to do a LOT of mountain biking slime skabs ime along with all the other glueless patches are utter erm rubbish ....

They are useless in wet weather...

They generally leak air over time

They attract muck round their edges

And loose stickyness with age...

Can't beat the age old feather edge patches with vulcanising rubber solution... Buy a pile of the small tubes over a big one as the carrier tends to evaporate from opened tubes of glue...

Most of the time I carried 2 ultra lightweight maxxix presta tubes, (they fit both presta and Schrader rims) a tyre boot, levers and a pump and did my patching at home.... A tampon or ball of cotton wool is handy for finding thorns in the tube

SRAM chain links and a chain tool are a must have plus a spare mech hanger

The slime tyre sealent and puncture bands are not worth the hassle as they don't prevent pinch flats and the slime rarely plugs the hole well enough making a big mess as you attempt to patch it... And you try seating the band's whilst fitting a tyre and tube :?

For tubeless tyres stans no tubes sealent is good both for sealing the bead and fixing small holes on ust tyre and rim set ups but a tube is needed for bigger punctures as reseating the bead without a compressor is next to impossible
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I'll get a pack next time I'm up by Halfords, I like the idea of easy tent repairs in the field (if reqd), thanks for sharing.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

For tent repair (or pretty much any other fabric), I'd recommend clear Tenacious Tape.
It makes no difference if its branded McNett or Gear Aid, its the same stuff

Easy to use, you can cut it to size and it hangs on like an excited terrier
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

For 17 years,I commuted by bike 125 miles a week.I have experienced every breakdown a cyclist can; busted wheel,broken crank, and a thousand punctures.There is only one way to fix a flat at the roadside,and that is a spare tube - especially in the dark/rain/snow. Fixthe tube at home in the warm and dry,with proper self vulcanising patches, as Yorkshire Andy said.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

jansman wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:15 pm There is only one way to fix a flat at the roadside,and that is a spare tube - especially in the dark/rain/snow. Fixthe tube at home in the warm and dry,with proper self vulcanising patches, as Yorkshire Andy said.
Agree, no point messing about when a new tube can be fitted and pumped up in minutes, just make sure you check the inside of the tyre for spikey things so the new tube doesn't get the same puncture :lol:

I used to use my fingers but have gone a bit soft so use the 'tissue test' - bit of scrunched up tissue run around the inside of the tyre will catch on anything sticking through.
PrepperPete

Post by PrepperPete »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:40 am I used to do a LOT of mountain biking slime skabs ime along with all the other glueless patches are utter erm rubbish ....

They are useless in wet weather...

They generally leak air over time

They attract muck round their edges

And loose stickyness with age...

Can't beat the age old feather edge patches with vulcanising rubber solution... Buy a pile of the small tubes over a big one as the carrier tends to evaporate from opened tubes of glue...

Most of the time I carried 2 ultra lightweight maxxix presta tubes, (they fit both presta and Schrader rims) a tyre boot, levers and a pump and did my patching at home.... A tampon or ball of cotton wool is handy for finding thorns in the tube

SRAM chain links and a chain tool are a must have plus a spare mech hanger

The slime tyre sealent and puncture bands are not worth the hassle as they don't prevent pinch flats and the slime rarely plugs the hole well enough making a big mess as you attempt to patch it... And you try seating the band's whilst fitting a tyre and tube :?

For tubeless tyres stans no tubes sealent is good both for sealing the bead and fixing small holes on ust tyre and rim set ups but a tube is needed for bigger punctures as reseating the bead without a compressor is next to impossible
Thanks for the insight Andy, speaking personally, I’ve never had any bother with them but it sounds like you’ve had a fair bit more experience and I appreciate you sharing!
PrepperPete

Post by PrepperPete »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:36 pm For tent repair (or pretty much any other fabric), I'd recommend clear Tenacious Tape.
It makes no difference if its branded McNett or Gear Aid, its the same stuff

Easy to use, you can cut it to size and it hangs on like an excited terrier
Oooh... I’d not heard of this before, I will investigate further! Thanks!