Suggestions for good quality walking boots

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Dave999

Suggestions for good quality walking boots

Post by Dave999 »

Hi all,

My walking boots need replacing, just wandering is anyone has any suggestions for a good pair of walking boots? The market seems very saturated and it's difficult to choose!

Cheers.
Deeps

Re: Suggestions for good quality walking boots

Post by Deeps »

Get yourself down to Go Outdoors at Granton and have a try mate. A boot that I might love because it fits my foot might not be the same for you.
What I will say is if its for serious walking in soggy conditions I prefer leather over man made types altbough they tend to be a bit more 'clumpy'. My general sashaying about footwear is lightweight boots and they're great, wear them out in decent weather up hills etc and they're fine. In snow or if you're going to be in mud and puddles I wear leather.

Something else to throw in the mix, waterproof socks.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Deeps wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:38 pm Get yourself down to Go Outdoors at Granton and have a try mate. A boot that I might love because it fits my foot might not be the same for you.
What I will say is if its for serious walking in soggy conditions I prefer leather over man made types altbough they tend to be a bit more 'clumpy'. My general sashaying about footwear is lightweight boots and they're great, wear them out in decent weather up hills etc and they're fine. In snow or if you're going to be in mud and puddles I wear leather.

Something else to throw in the mix, waterproof socks.
Cheers mate. I'll pop in next time I'm down that way. Cheers.
Bad Wombat

Post by Bad Wombat »

I've got a pair of Berghaus Hillwalker II GTX's. Super comfy - which is how I like my boots. I went a size up and fitted a set of Sorbothane insoles for extra padding. Current £95.00 at Go Outdoors.
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Danner every time for me.

Got pair of Acadia for warmer weather and insulated Fort Lewis for winter.

Had my fort Lewis boots over 15 years, never leaked, always kept my feet comfy and feel like slippers. they're getting ready for resoling though, something which can be done through Danner anyway - you send them off for 'recrafting' and they repair/restitch /resole as needed.

They're not cheap though, mine were £400 back then, but given how long they last they're a good investment, especially if you walk a lot of miles.

Customer service is A+ as well...

*Edit - bought them from Silvermans in '99 so had them 19 years!
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Thanks for the info guys.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

I have a few pairs myself the last ones I bought were Salomon Quest 4D II GTX boots. perfect fit and so comfortable straight out of the box.

they're light weight and waterproof, pretty durable. I did wear them out last winter a few times and they performed perfectly but for a multi-day winter hike I still prefer my all leather meindl boots.

I actually have a pair of meindl boots that I bought 18 years ago, still waterproof, comfortable and in good condition considering the abuse I gave them ..... Meindl still make that model boot and it actually costs £130 more to buy them now than it did 18 years ago ..... inflation eh !

like previously stated though ensure you try before you buy, a good fit is essential.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I've had berghaus, good boots and I had a pair for a good ten years, still have them but they're too stiff for me now.

Have meindl bhutans now, still a bit stiff by modern standards but very comfortable, waterproof and well made. Not cheap but worth every penny.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
lee3

Post by lee3 »

A bit late replying, but others looking for boots may read this thread soooo....
I have to reply because I do love boots....I literally wear them all the time...always have about 10 pairs on the go....(much to the annoyance of my better half.....who I must add is the amelda Marcos of sandals so really can't talk!) As suggested above feet are all different so comfort will be unique to you....for example I love Haix boots they look great feel comfortable when I put them on and have the neatest lace lock. I always wear high leg boots and my favorite (expensive) boots are my 18 year old danners but as you tighten the laces towards the top as soon as you release any tension they kind of loosen around the ankle...Haix boots have a lock that stops this!....but I digress...despite my love for Haix they just are not comfortable across the top of my foot after walking a while....and I have been unnable to cure this with different in soles with fittings or socks....but someone with different feet may love them...I have seen them recommended before.
Altbergs are comfortable for me but the soles seem to wear faster than others and they are expensive compared to what I am about to suggest....Bates boots! You can get them super cheap...as long as you don't mind brown leather! (I prefer brown and have a couple...but need black for work...and have a couple!...why are black so much more expensive than brown?) These boots are super light comfortable (for me!!!!) Supportive without being to stiff...come in a range of width fittings with different insoles for fit and spare laces in the box....now when I say cheap...I do mean from the EofBays which is where I buy all my boots....I do buy them new...and embarrassingly..have permenant watch lists....I am looking at a pair of Bates Dessert Delta boots
Right Now an hmmmmm can I get away with another pair?..... :-)
I'm in area 1
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I'm a big fan of Haix, they fit my feet and I've got a couple of pairs from a previous employer so the price was right (ie feck all :D ). One pair is starting to come apart and while I've no hesitation about forking out for another pair (about £130 last time I checked) I'm going to see if a mate can exchange them for me. The comfiest 'proper' boots I've ever worn, I'm generally in them or in a pair of Berghaus suede type lightweight boots and if I had to pick it would be the Haix.