Rapid boil thingys

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Seminole

Rapid boil thingys

Post by Seminole »

I'm off to Spain shortly to do the spanish sections of the TET, I normally take my old petrol stove, but looking for something lighter mainly just for my morning coffee but able in emergency to boil up a dried pasta thing or 2 (I intend upping camp each night and going into town for grub before moving on)

A friend recently demonstarted a rapid boil thing and it seemed pretty good and quick, anyone tried them? and are the gas cannisters widely available (spain?)

ta
Wingfoot

Re: Rapid boil thingys

Post by Wingfoot »

I have a jetboil minimo & I like it a lot, boils water very quickly & has the wider pot so great for cooking in. Also the minimo has a simmer control so unlike some others it's burner can be controlled.

Only downside I can see with it is the price, but it is great quality.

Wf
Si vis pacem, para bellum
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I don't own one myself but have experience via a couple of friends . They certainly are very efficient and bring stuff to the boil quickly. The stove one friend has comes in a square plastic box which I do feel is somewhat cramped. Ok I understand the idea of making things compact for hiking and the like but I really don't like the way the hose is bent and squeezed to fit it into the box. The nit picker in me also thinks that the plastic box is effectively useless for anything else.
A second friend has a couple and was recently having a bit of trouble. He had changed the cylinder but no gas was coming through. Not blocked or anything , it appears that it is important to use the correct make of cylinders as while some others are the correct shape and will screw on they don't all have the ability to depress the valve to release the gas.
Only small niggling faults and overall I'd be happy to get one .
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

I have a jetboil there great, also have a highlander fastboil for my car winter bag just as good in my opinion and half the price if your on a budget.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
piglet

Post by piglet »

Love my Jet-boil.
Haven't found any canisters that didn't work.

Also, empty canisters can be refilled from Campingaz CP250 Resealable Gas Cartridges (or similar), using a pocket size adaptor
ain't settlin'
GazB

Post by GazB »

I have had a JetBoil for over 10 years. I use if for work. I think its one of the best bits of kit I've ever brought for work. Boils water in no time at all and the burner unit and canister (if you have a small one) can all fit inside the pot/cup/mug whatever you want to call it. I mainly use it for boil in the bags and for making brews, but every now and then use it to cook up pasta, rice etc.
You don't plan to fail, you fail to plan!!!
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

piglet wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:28 pm Love my Jet-boil.
Haven't found any canisters that didn't work.

Also, empty canisters can be refilled from Campingaz CP250 Resealable Gas Cartridges (or similar), using a pocket size adaptor
To be fair my friend has only experienced this once. He has a genuine jet boil and another which looks like a very close copy . It would probably help here if I could remember makes :oops: and it appears that the "copy" has/had a slightly different shaped pin in the cylinder. It really was a pretty small thing and not something that's going to make him dump it . I'd get one myself if I didn't still have the refillable ( and for that matter the disposable ones too) campingaz ones.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Thanks for the insight all, I'll take a look at the jetboils, I think that is the one my friend showed me, but he reckons he paid 100 quid, i'm not paying that though ill have a look for a second hand one perhaps
GazB

Post by GazB »

I know getting a new jet boil is expensive, but like I said they are worth it. If you do go for a second hand one, it might be worth taking a close look at the condition of the igniter. They don’t cost that much to replace. Or you could just use a lighter or a match.
igniter
igniter
5988D513-545F-4C12-A758-DE531D19AAD1.jpeg (6.6 KiB) Viewed 2843 times
You don't plan to fail, you fail to plan!!!
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Did some more reading and have ordered an Alpkit Brukit, I will report back after delivery and a bit of use