Bolt cutters or?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
TDFPTAH

Bolt cutters or?

Post by TDFPTAH »

Hi,

I'm toying with getting some bolt cutters and wondered what your thoughts are. Would you carry them in your BOB of are they too heavy? Do you have an alternative?
jansman

Re: Bolt cutters or?

Post by jansman »

Bolt cutters are a useful tool. Carrying them in a BOB would be heavy. It could also lead you to having your ‘collar felt’ by the law, as in the wrong environment you could be in trouble for “ Going equipped”.

I won’t ask why you would want them in your bag, but please be aware that the forum stays on the right side of U.K. laws.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
TDFPTAH

Post by TDFPTAH »

Thanks for the Steer Jansman. Just playing with ideas.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I have bolt cutters, will be taking them up the hills next weekend as it happens, helping a mate doing some repair work on a bothy and he thinks we'll need them. This will be the first time they've been anywhere though. Only you will know if you think you'll need bolt cutters as part of your 'bug out bag', if you think you'd need them then take them, bearing in mind Jansman's warning above. Same with lockpicks etc, some preppers seem to want them but you could end up in the brown stuff pretty easily, you have to ask if its worth it.

Saying that, I don't have a 'BOB', a lot of the stuff that I would put in one in the 'classic' run to the hills scenario I use for other things like hill walking, camping etc, even the bag(s) themselves.There's no one right way to prep, whatever works for you mate.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Bolt cutters only good for cutting mild steel upto max jaw size...

Decent hacksaw with hss blade and a carbide rod blade will cut far more things
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Drcamburn

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you work, you eat, it's as simple as that.
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

i saw a chap on telly use a pair to liberate a 2 wheeled pedal powered escape vehicle to get out of the city - it was part of a practice drill and had been left in situ by a friend who was in on it..it wasnt a big hefty bikelock like you see here in London or wherever.

think it was an american show, people practiced their drills..normal lessons learned type thing.

what was impressive was he was on it and away in like sub 10 seconds and it looked like he was the owner unlocking it, not suspicious at all, flimsy lock though..

However, they're heavy and not very plod friendly if you get caught with them.

ive got some in various sizes but they stay in the garage..
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Drcamburn wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:07 pmif I had to cut the lock off my shed, I'd rather use the bolt cutters to do it quickly and easily. As opposed to messing about with a hacksaw, you see bailiffs, emergency services, and soldiers all use them.
Time to replace your padlock and hasp then ;)

I fitted a closed shackle and hasp to prevent a easy job for the local scrotes

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I've got those fitted to my van and recently had some one try to get in to it. There were clear signs where they'd forced a crowbar into the door/body gap and also where they had tried the same with that lock. Thankfully the lock sufficed although it was bloody irritating . A Facebook group I'm in has shown pictures of vans that have been peeled i.e. The doors bent downwards and also others where the panels have been cut open with a cordless angle grinder which seems to be becoming another tool in criminals arsenal where noise isn't a problem. As it is lidl are selling a cordless angle grinder for less that £30 this week.
Scottish-prepper

Post by Scottish-prepper »

I have a set of bolt cutters. I don’t keep them in my ghb/bob in the boot of my car in case I get stopped by the police and searched but if I was bugging out for real, I’d definitely be taking them.