Pre Made bug out bags ?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
steveoswithmilk

Re: Pre Made bug out bags ?

Post by steveoswithmilk »

Some really good points here, thanks all !
I think for me where we live on a major route if anything was to happen in terms of civil unrest or an emergency then our car would be useless due to tye heavy build up of traffic, so ideally we would walk to our safe location about 10 miles away and pitch up there - i agree that there would be no point in having machetes haha i dont think that the lanes around berkshire really require that !
I hadnt thought about a get home bag but that sounds like a cracking idea - being near a neclear site the advice is to get home and bug in asap so will defo look into that, gas masks, painters overalls and the like will be a staple in my bags along with food and water.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

steveoswithmilk wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:54 am so ideally we would walk to our safe location about 10 miles away and pitch up there
Just a caution on any 'safe location', if its a friend or relative then you should be fine but if its a nice spot on someone else's land that you've recce'd then it might not be as safe as you think. If its 10 miles maybe bicycles would be an option.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Being the slightly Obsessive nerd that I am I had a quick poke about online, I've mostly searched on Amazon (the milsurp stuff was from a different site though). Where given I've found the cheapest price for that brand, otherwise I've found the one that best matches the picture.
1. Kombat Assault Molle Bag 28litre 19.99
2. 100ft 7 Strand Parachord 6.49
3. Aluminium Survival Whistle 0.35
4. Highlander 3 in 1 Survival Tool 1.00
5. Survival Mirror 1.95
6. Kombat UK Hexi Cooker 4.06
7. Genuine French Military Mess Tins 4.99
8. Genuine Swiss Military Water Bottle & Cup 6.99
9. Higlander Trekker Hammock 19.90
10. Oasis Water Purification Tablets (50 Pack) 2.10
11. 92mm Fire Starter Striker Tool 1.49
12. Kombat UK Waterproof Matches 3.99
13. Higlander Midi First Aid Kit 11.99
14. Wind Up Torch 6.53
15. BCB Compact Fishing Kit 2.34
16. 7″ Parachord Laced Survival Knife (Anglo Arms) 3.55

Total 97.71

Theres no sleeping bag or blanket, no sleeping mat and no water filter..... Not even a Milbank
The knife is dubious at best, a ten quid mora or hultafors would be a better option
The kit has too many cooking pots, nothing to eat with other then the spoon end on the tin opener and not nearly enough water containers.
No cover of any kind, Poncho, tarp, tent or WHY
No compass either

All my rants are based on using it as a bush-bag.

After breathing deeply for a few minutes, I'll say that you could build a much better bush-bag for the same money or less. I wouldn't recommend that you buy this even as a starting point.

OP: You say that you have a planned 'safe place' about ten miles away?
Ten miles is about four to five hours comfortable walking (assuming basic fitness), so two full water bottles and a bar of chocolate for absolute basic gear.... But you would arrive as a hungry, thirsty, footsore refugee and seeing as we're Preppers thats one thing we don't plan on being.

So, Plan A is evac on foot to a place a few hours away ?
You need some where to sleep
Something to sleep in and on
Something to wear and something to wear tomorrow.
Something to eat, eat with and eat out of
Water, a way to carry it and a way to make it safe
Cash, for the things you don't have
Any medicines you need to stay alive
A bag to put it all in and shoes you can walk in.
A way to find the place

Once you've got this list covered, you then decide on Plan B and see what extras you need to do that.

Rinse and Repeat until new plans don't need any new stuff, then slim your bag down until you can carry it without dying.

Have you thought about your Risk List?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:22 pm Being the slightly Obsessive nerd that I am I had a quick poke about online, I've mostly searched on Amazon (the milsurp stuff was from a different site though). Where given I've found the cheapest price for that brand, otherwise I've found the one that best matches the picture.
1. Kombat Assault Molle Bag 28litre 19.99
2. 100ft 7 Strand Parachord 6.49
3. Aluminium Survival Whistle 0.35
4. Highlander 3 in 1 Survival Tool 1.00
5. Survival Mirror 1.95
6. Kombat UK Hexi Cooker 4.06
7. Genuine French Military Mess Tins 4.99
8. Genuine Swiss Military Water Bottle & Cup 6.99
9. Higlander Trekker Hammock 19.90
10. Oasis Water Purification Tablets (50 Pack) 2.10
11. 92mm Fire Starter Striker Tool 1.49
12. Kombat UK Waterproof Matches 3.99
13. Higlander Midi First Aid Kit 11.99
14. Wind Up Torch 6.53
15. BCB Compact Fishing Kit 2.34
16. 7″ Parachord Laced Survival Knife (Anglo Arms) 3.55

Total 97.71

Theres no sleeping bag or blanket, no sleeping mat and no water filter..... Not even a Milbank
The knife is dubious at best, a ten quid mora or hultafors would be a better option
The kit has too many cooking pots, nothing to eat with other then the spoon end on the tin opener and not nearly enough water containers.
No cover of any kind, Poncho, tarp, tent or WHY
No compass either

All my rants are based on using it as a bush-bag.

After breathing deeply for a few minutes, I'll say that you could build a much better bush-bag for the same money or less. I wouldn't recommend that you buy this even as a starting point.

OP: You say that you have a planned 'safe place' about ten miles away?
Ten miles is about four to five hours comfortable walking (assuming basic fitness), so two full water bottles and a bar of chocolate for absolute basic gear.... But you would arrive as a hungry, thirsty, footsore refugee and seeing as we're Preppers thats one thing we don't plan on being.

So, Plan A is evac on foot to a place a few hours away ?
You need some where to sleep
Something to sleep in and on
Something to wear and something to wear tomorrow.
Something to eat, eat with and eat out of
Water, a way to carry it and a way to make it safe
Cash, for the things you don't have
Any medicines you need to stay alive
A bag to put it all in and shoes you can walk in.
A way to find the place

Once you've got this list covered, you then decide on Plan B and see what extras you need to do that.

Rinse and Repeat until new plans don't need any new stuff, then slim your bag down until you can carry it without dying.

Have you thought about your Risk List?
Slim your bag down until you can carry it without dying.Exactly! 30 odd years ago I was invincible.Now I am worn out and nearer my maker I tend to use guile and cunning rather than brute force.Some of the load lists for bags I read would force even a Royal Marine to use a wheelbarrow!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

10miles = 45 mins by push rod aka bike if your half fit if fat look at 60 mins if so 1l of water 2l if hot. Or up hill
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Scottish-prepper

Post by Scottish-prepper »

I have a combined bob/ghb in the boot of my car. It’s more as a ghb or get home bag. Say for whatever reason, let’s say an EMP event rendered my car useless and I was stuck miles from home. I could walk it with the contents of this bag, even if it took me a few days. That’s a good starting point. Imagine you are 40-50 miles from home, the shops are closed and your going to have to hike it. What would you want with you? I have a small tent, sleeping bag, mre’s, snickers bars, a camelbak filled with 2l water, a change of clothes, a multi tool, a hand crank radio/torch, sawyer water filter as a starter. I do have other bits and bobs but this is a good base.

Usually a good ghb will serve as a good bob too. I could easily hike the 20miles to my family’s house using the same kit.

Wouldn’t bother with the off the shelf kits, buy a decent backpack and put together your own. Plenty ideas on here and on other sites, add and remove things to suit your own situation (and the season).
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Think forge has got the right idea , premade bags are good for providing a starting list to work around.
That said if one is short of time with a decent amount of disposable income ( or more money than sense I hear some say) or just too idle to trawl the net for bargains but still with a leaning towards prepping then they perhaps aren't the worst thing in the world. I won't be getting one but then I'm quite frugal and have the "luxury" of several decades of collecting enough stuff to build several bags if I want.