Pre Made bug out bags ?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
steveoswithmilk

Pre Made bug out bags ?

Post by steveoswithmilk »

New to prepping, looking at getting bug out bags put together ( 2 ). I've seen some of these pre made kits
http://www.preppersshop.co.uk/prepping-bundles-52-c.asp
Question - are they worth it ? or is it better / more cost effective to build one from scratch ?
Thanks
Deeps

Re: Pre Made bug out bags ?

Post by Deeps »

Never even looked at the premade bags, saying that, I don't have a bug out bag myself. Are you sure you need one for starters and if the answer is yes, what you might put in it might be different to what I would put in one.

For the record, I could put together a couple of really good bug out bags (for my needs and the missus) if required. I do have a GHB (get home bag) that I like to take when I can but its got my light weight down sleeping bag that I use some times for my trips so gets pulled from the bag. If you use your stuff its going to get moved about so you're probably just as well getting the stuff that works for YOU. Probably cheaper than buying 'off the shelf' and more fun. :D
steveoswithmilk

Post by steveoswithmilk »

Deeps wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:10 pm Never even looked at the premade bags, saying that, I don't have a bug out bag myself. Are you sure you need one for starters and if the answer is yes, what you might put in it might be different to what I would put in one.
This is exactly what i'm thinking - will a one size solution fit my needs ? I doubt it, but it could be a good place to start from I guess - one thing i've realised already is that its difficult to know where to start other than keeping a bit of extra cash about and building up food / water supplies ! Plus on the site i liked to unless you know exactly what the individual products are its not very descriptive ! Would be great to see what others have in theirs for some inspiration ?
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

All I can suggest is cover the basics, you'll need shelter, water and some scran. Cooking and first aid etc....

My understanding of the BOB principle is either the 72 hour principle or enough to get you to your 'bug out location'. I've always thought of this as more of an American thing, our wee island is pretty heavily populated so unless you already have a place to run off to (assuming its the end of days stuff as opposed to a UXB/burst water main scenario) then you'll be relying on luck past the 72 hours. What are your personal priorities, what's going to push you into 'bugging out', a popular alternative on here is the HOB (hotel bag), you're much more likely to have to deal with a scenario that ends up with you staying in a hotel or a sports centre than having to high tail it to the hills.

Do you intend to be using the contents of a BOB for anything else ? You could end up with a fair bit of money tied up in something that you rarely or never use. Your idea of having extra cash to hand would probably be more useful in a lot of situations, do you have plenty food and water etc in the house ?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Like Deeps, I have a get home bag. In essence it is actually a multi purpose emergency kit. Tailored to me. It’s in a 30 litre waterproof Belgian mil surp rucksack, total weight with 2 litres of water, 14 lb. In there is water, food, mess tin , hexi stove and brew kit. Multi tool, sawyer filter,compass , map and whistle, fag lighter, first aid kit, Mylar blankets and a big reusable space blanket ( with grommets), cord, a plastic survival bag. Change of clothes. That is mainly for the odd time I end up in the water when fishing! :lol: High vis vest- at the top of the bag in case of breakdown etc. Emergency phone charger there too. Camo poncho ( very multi purpose) and lightweight waterproof jacket and trousers. I always wear comfy work boots any way, so no issue there. Phone and wallet with plenty of cash and RAC card; good to go!

Working further away now, the roads can be iffy. Yesterday I was caught in a jam after a 12 hour shift and diverted 3 miles by police. It was red hot and I was hungry and thirsty. I went to the boot and pulled some grub from the bag and a slurp of water from the canteen I keep additionally to the bag( saves digging around).I also have a hiking pole in there too, the telescopic type, in case I have to yomp it, as I have a very poor right knee.

So as you see, it’s personal to me and my perceived problems. It’s also waterproof,lightweight and disposable in many ways.Another thing is it is legal- nothing in there to upset the constabulary! Hope that helps.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Agreeing as usual with Deeps, that said I am finding the site interesting, I've found myself looking at all the different kits thinking "that's useful" or WTF would I want a bivi bag in a bug in scenario thing for?
Someone, indeed several places had to do this and I expect by looking at what's out of stock that from their point of view it was a good strategy ;) There must be enough people coming to prepping to sustain this sort of venture, but I doubt they'll make their fortune from the core group here, I do love a good list though :) but when it comes down to what I would want to bug out with I'd need a few Sherpa's ;)

Jansman's kit makes perfect sense, but for us the only time we really go any distance getting home would be a nightmare in a SHTF scenario, and although perfectly legit and all that, much of the constabulary may be more than a little flustered ( until explanation ) looking in the boot :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I also don't have a BOB, but like Deeps could put a good one together in no time if I really felt I had to head to the hills. As Deeps has already said, a BOB is a very American thing that derives from a survival kit carried by their airmen in the Korean war. However even in the US, the majority of people don't run to the hills to avoid something.
I suppose it all comes down to what you think you might have to leave your home for and where you would expect to go. I'm a shelter in place type, and I wouldn't leave my home willingly.
I do have kit that goes about with me, general everyday stuff in my handbag, then I have extra stuff in my work bag, I then add to that to make a day bag for outings and finally a HOB which is basically a ready to go wheelie suitcase that covers us for a weekend at one of our designated hotels and this is where Deeps is bang on about how personal contents can be. Jansman's GHB is similar to mine, but I don't have a change of clothes, I do have a spare pair of socks though. It really is worth having a good think about what will take you from your home, for how long and where you want to be.
So to finally answer your question, I personally think that a ready made BOB might contain a lot of things that you might never need and the whole thing could end up being an expensive ornament. You have little control over the quality of what's in these bags and the bag itself.
One thing people often forget in an emergency and was highlighted yet again with the volcanic eruption in Hawaii is pets. Do you have pets and have you made arrangements for them too?
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I'd build your own but for what event?

Big fire on the local industrial estate ...police bang on your door at 3am telling you your to evacuate to the local sports hall ....

Where will a machete and 30 assorted knives and stabby things come in handy?
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Pets are a massive issue for us.In our hotel bag we have a dog lead,food and water bowl,tin of food and biscuits.The cats would have to fend for themselves,although dry food would be put down for them regardless.The fowls,birds and rabbits are on self feeders.That is worst case though.The kind of event Yorkshire Andy describes.

Running to the woods ain't happening for Mrs J and me though.Ever.If ,for some reason we had a problem here at Chez Jansman,we have the Summer house,or 'Beach Hut' as Mrs.J.calls it.We vacated the house for a week last year when some wiring was being done,as an example,and just came in to shower or fetch food.Its right at the top of our rather long garden the other side of the trees.We often have a barbecue and a few glasses of Tizer and sleep up there,as we did last night.Our 'sofa' is a futon and memory foam mattress,with quilt and festooned with cushions.Great for lounging on watching telly! Even better for climbing in and kipping when you've had enough pop! :lol: We have a composting loo and water supply too,so it's pretty much independent from the house.

My point being,that if that cabin was not kitted out the way it is,my emergency kit would actually be good for use there too,along with our H.O.B. It would mean our animals could be attended to on site,as it were,as they are a big part of our lives.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:09 am I'd build your own but for what event?

Big fire on the local industrial estate ...police bang on your door at 3am telling you your to evacuate to the local sports hall ....

Where will a machete and 30 assorted knives and stabby things come in handy?
I think this could be covered by separating bits of kit - spare clothing and sleeping stuff/toiletries/meds are the essentials for the sports hall scenario. bug out bags and anything else need to be separable there is no catch all, you either have to have one for every scenario, or split it up in ways it can be put together quickly.

Pets we have folding wheeled pet boxes, got to say the forced evacuation, and the long trek home after an EMP are among my worst fears, bugging in whatever we face, at least we face it together, whilst the thought of being screwed in several ways is a nightmare, I wouldn't want them to face it without me there, nor me them, family including cats.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.