Looking for new EDC bag with no molle

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Haggis2013

Looking for new EDC bag with no molle

Post by Haggis2013 »

I have a 27L Asics sports bag which has served me well for years but it is time to retire it. The problem I have is I cannot find anything similar. What I am looking for is

25-30L sports rucksack (No Mil look or molle as I do not want to stand out like a sore thumb)
The main thing I want is 3/4 to full length proper zippered side pockets (Not mesh water bottle carriers).
I would prefer the main compartment to have a simple zipper opening without a storm flap (I know this makes the pack less waterproof but again I want to look like an average Joe not a mountain climber or squaddie.)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Deeps

Re: Looking for new EDC bag with no molle

Post by Deeps »

I don't know how easy it would be for you but get yourself down to Go Outdoors or the like and have a rummage. Sports Direct now do the Karimor range, its not as robust as the old stuff but they have a range of 'average Joe' bags at good prices. You can try them on and see which one 'fits' best. Good hunting, I've just bought my first ever rucksack online, waiting for it to arrive, I've always wanted to put them on my back before I buy.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

If you can still get hold of them, Lidl had a cracking cycling back pack that is pretty much as you describe. My son has one, and thinks it's great. I have a simple Regatta Survivor 25l it not tacticool or fancy, just one big pocket and comfy to wear, as is the Lidl back backpack. It might be worth looking at a cycle backpack as they tend to have the features you want. HTH. :D
Oh and what Deeps said, try before you buy. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Typing on the bus, I've just seen 2 young lads (20ish) with the tacticool looking bags. I've noticed it before but they are becoming more 'fashionable'. Not trying to steer you towards them, I'm with you, they might well make you a target.
scoobie

Post by scoobie »

Embrace the MOLLE! I work in a large city, and see them daily. My 5.11 and Maxpedition bags have outlasted everything else I’ve tried (and mine get abused!) But they *are* expensive..

5.11 have a new-ish colour range that is black and grey, looks cool; and relatively understated.
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

I bought one of these a few months back, Mountain Hardwear rainshadow 26L (there are also 18L & 36L versions of this pack)

I find 26L to be the perfect day pack size, extremely light and very comfortable to wear.

it has a zipped main compartment and its completely waterproof.

I picked it up for about £35 on sport pursuit website, dont think they're selling them anymore though.

(it comes in lots of other colors if you dont like the orange lol)

Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Decathlon are also worth a look if there's one near you, they do a Quecha branded range of bags that are reasonable cheap and cheerful and not bad quality, my mrs has a little joggers pack from them and it's pretty nicely made, they sell loads of things in decathlon so there's a good range of styles so I'm sure something would suit.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Haggis2013

Post by Haggis2013 »

Thanks for the tip on looking at Decathlon Jamesey. They have a bag which has everything I want, it looks a bit flimsy but I'll give it a go. This was to be an anniversary present from my wife so was expecting a price of about £50-60 I will have to think of something else for her to get me otherwise she will buy some ridiculous gadget. You know the sort of thing combination torch, bear trap, toilet roll holder, MP3 Player that weighs 2Kg.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Haggis, if I don't have anything specific or if its cheaper than the 'present value coefficent' Her Maj is under strict instructions to get amazon vouchers. Maybe not perfect but you can have a lot of fun adding stuff to your wishlist. Its how I've ended up risking buying a bag without trying it on (should be fine its adjustable). :P
Haggis2013

Post by Haggis2013 »

Total agree Deeps for birthday and Christmas definitely cash but she who must be obeyed refuses for our anniversary. So after spending days looking at every rucksack available I now have to rack my brain thinking of something else.