Denso tape uses?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Deeps

Re: Denso tape uses?

Post by Deeps »

FlashPan wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:10 pm Can anyone please shed some light on the usage of denso tape?

I can see it could be good for pipes but what about fabric? Am mainly thinking about tents, canvas or not here? eg: to repair rips and tears or how about repairing broken tent poles?

Cheers
Short term, the old 'Harry black maskers' aka duct tape (or black nasty to those of a green wearing persuasion) works, at a push on footwear etc too. Still none the wiser on the denso stuff but amalgamating tape works on heavier repairs like pipes etc, its waterproof and has a bit of elasticity, I used to use it for waterproofing electrical stuff at sea.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I used it once to waterproof a temporary underground joint that the builders kept digging up by accident, what a ****ing mess! It worked until we got hold of the proper resin joint kits, made it sound like a construction site, well it was Mannadon roundabout and flyover when the A38 was built to pass straight to the Tamar bridge, we had to fix it when they hit it, and extend it several times as the bridge grew, I'll never forget that denso tape though, I hate getting sticky, if i pick up something a child has handled when eating sweeties it freaks me out a bit, that stuff caused nightmares!
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Plymtom wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:59 am the Tamar bridge
Going wildly off topic but I always said being the Navigator on the Torpoint ferry was my dream job. 8-)
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Deeps wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:12 am
Going wildly off topic but I always said being the Navigator on the Torpoint ferry was my dream job. 8-)
Well one did hit a frigate once ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

FlashPan wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:10 pm Can anyone please shed some light on the usage of denso tape?

I can see it could be good for pipes but what about fabric? Am mainly thinking about tents, canvas or not here? eg: to repair rips and tears or how about repairing broken tent poles?

Cheers
For permanent repairs (rather then a gaffer fix) on tent fabric use McNett's "Tenacious Tape"
It doesn't come in a very big roll (but at least its three inches wide).
If you get the clear its almost invisible.
Are two of the commonest packaging.

For poles and other hardware I'd go with Gorilla, that stuff seems to stick even on damp things.

Denso seems more of a gasket (for keeping water out or in).... I'm not sure though as I've not used it (yet)

Looks like I'm going to need more types of tape in the repair bucket :oops:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Plymtom wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:51 am
Not sure how, they're on a chain. I would blame the frigate myself but then, I blame skimmers for all that's wrong in the world.

I am biased though, I'm currently having a light refreshment in an HM Submarines pint glass. :D
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Deeps wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:37 pm
Plymtom wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:51 am

Not sure how, they're on a chain. I would blame the frigate myself but then, I blame skimmers for all that's wrong in the world.

I am biased though, I'm currently having a light refreshment in an HM Submarines pint glass. :D
Yes the ferry driver in his stupidity thought he had a right of way, but being on chains the ferry could stop way quicker than the frigate, he just didn't, it's probably more complex than i'm making it, like I believe sail trumps steam too, and if you are a certain distance perhaps small craft have to avoid the ferry, but I damn sure the Navy has priority.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Plymtom wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:42 pm

Yes the ferry driver in his stupidity thought he had a right of way, but being on chains the ferry could stop way quicker than the frigate, he just didn't, it's probably more complex than i'm making it, like I believe sail trumps steam too, and if you are a certain distance perhaps small craft have to avoid the ferry, but I damn sure the Navy has priority.
The old adage is that 'steam' should give way to sail as its quicker to maneuvre but common sense comes into play too. While technically the Navy might have right of way, something like a chain ferry would likely have the right of it due to it being on a timetable but it takes a special kind of stoopid to collide in the Tamar between a warship and the Torpoint ferry.

Still think being the navigator on a chain ferry is a dream job. :D
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Deeps wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:42 pm
Plymtom wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:42 pm

The old adage is that 'steam' should give way to sail as its quicker to maneuvre but common sense comes into play too. While technically the Navy might have right of way, something like a chain ferry would likely have the right of it due to it being on a timetable but it takes a special kind of stoopid to collide in the Tamar between a warship and the Torpoint ferry.

Still think being the navigator on a chain ferry is a dream job. :D
Rumour is there's a woman working her passage on a ferry somewhere ;) but seriously the chains are the key here, it's stopping distance the ferry has some forward momentum yes but once it cuts power it will only go a short distance before the weight if the chains actually pull it backward slightly, the ship however will be going at a set speed and will not stop on a sixpence, it could be the ferry driver misjudged and figured he would be out of the way, he thought he was going to break wind... he was wrong :lol:
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

That must have the smallest set of charts ever :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon