Denso tape uses?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Neish

Denso tape uses?

Post by Neish »

Hey fellow preppers, now some of you whom work in Utility companies or trade may have heard or even used Denso tape, that sticky green roll used for waterproofing and fixing leaks in gas or water pipes and even our underground cables. My personal experience in using denso tape on electrical mains and even finding joints (connections) on old cables that have been buried and running for at least 20 years is that the tape is brilliant at its function to stop leaks/prevent water ingress. The Gas company also use it for gas pipe line damage on low pressure gas mains and services but also apply a roll of some sort of yellow tape over top the denso of which Im not sure what that is.

So being a prepper I started thinking how I could use such tape for my preps and as one of my preps. So currently I've come up with:
*Stopping water/gas leaks in a domestic setting due to its waterproofing function. (Of course someone with a background in gas work should clarify the gas side of things)
*Wrapping up a container for a prepper stash, around the lids or even entirely covered. I will try this out with a 30cal ammo can with supplies inside completely covered in denso tape and leave it for a couple years)
*Temporarily fixingleaking boots?
*sealing up doors/windows

If any of you fellow preppers having used denso or still use it today please share your experiences with it and possibly even how we can utilise it as a prep, Thanks!
xplosiv1

Re: Denso tape uses?

Post by xplosiv1 »

denso tape is fantastic stuff, I pulled stuff out of industrial and nuclear installations that was put there in the 60's and the tape is still fine, I did an inspection in a naval base last year in some old Victorian tunnels under the base (all flooded of course) but all the taped joints were still perfect some in there 40+ years exposed to salt water

i've mainly only ever used it for electrical joints (outdoors) and submarine joints etc..... at £10 for about 10 meters of the 50mm stuff its not really something most people have lying about though and would run a hefty bill for sealing containers compared to buying IP66 + containers ...... unless your getting it somewhere for free

it'll be interesting to see what others have been using it for.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I have a couple of rolls in the van and shed and while I haven't used it for a while it is good stuff . To be honest I've never really given it that much thought as a prepping item although it has been used as emergency repairs at times.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Had a quick nose as I'd never heard of it, it looks a bit like amalgamating tape. Can I ask what the difference is if anyone knows ???

I've got a stash of amalgamating tape.
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

Like the others I've not heard of Denso tape, but will be checking it out. Sounds like something handy to have in the house "Just in case". I've still a couple of rolls of black nasty tape from my military days, that's great stuff for fixing almost anything. Denso tape should fill the gap!

Thanks for the heads up.
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
jansman

Post by jansman »

It’s sticky stuff, but brilliant. I have used it to fix our Victorian cast iron guttering.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 5:40 pmI have used it to fix our Victorian cast iron guttering.
Oh thats interesting! There are a couple of places on my cast iron gutters (1939, not Victorian, but still) that could usefully use it. Going to use the Amazon wish list button right now :mrgreen: or is there a more local alternative?
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Arzosah wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 8:13 pm
jansman wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 5:40 pmI have used it to fix our Victorian cast iron guttering.
Oh thats interesting! There are a couple of places on my cast iron gutters (1939, not Victorian, but still) that could usefully use it. Going to use the Amazon wish list button right now :mrgreen: or is there a more local alternative?
most local hardware shops should stock it, might be worth a look they could be cheaper than amazon.

a few weeks back I was going to buy a diamond disc for my grinder, for the same price amazon were selling one I got 5 (same brand) from a shop 20 mins away.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Thanks xplosiv, will do.
FlashPan

Post by FlashPan »

Can anyone please shed some light on the usage of denso tape?

I can see it could be good for pipes but what about fabric? Am mainly thinking about tents, canvas or not here? eg: to repair rips and tears or how about repairing broken tent poles?

Cheers
Gordon's Alive!?