I'm thinking of getting a new EDC torch?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
sniper 55

I'm thinking of getting a new EDC torch?

Post by sniper 55 »

Ok I'll admit it. My name is Sniper and I'm a torchoholic! There, thats out of the way, ;)
Yes I've go loads of torches. but I'm always looking for the newest one that will suit me perfectly.
I've leaning towards the Olight range, reasonable priced, small enough for the pocket but plenty bright and decent battery life... trouble is I don't like the step-down most Olights have, that makes the output misleading to my mind.
I suppose ideally I'd like around a 1000+ Lm with no step down, and a good range of lower powers. Personally I don't like moonlight mode, I don't find it much use, I don't need to read a map for 48 days at a time. I'd rather say 15/20 Lms that I can walk around with for a few nights instead.
Anybody got any suggestions? I don't want to spend a fortune, but I want something decent.
Deeps

Re: I'm thinking of getting a new EDC torch?

Post by Deeps »

As a fellow torchaholic I'll be following this with interest. Sorry mate, can't think of anything with a 1000 lumen, personally I don't need it for EDC.
jansman

Post by jansman »

For what it’s worth,I am a fan of LED Lenser.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Deeps wrote:As a fellow torchaholic I'll be following this with interest. Sorry mate, can't think of anything with a 1000 lumen, personally I don't need it for EDC.
I'll see you at next weeks TA meeting mate... ;)

Ok maybe I don't really need a 1000, 500/700 is handy though if you need to check out something in the distance. Come to think of it, I was using 580 Lms last night and that was plenty to see the hillside.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

jansman wrote:For what it’s worth,I am a fan of LED Lenser.
My brothers a big fan of those, I've never had one though. Just looking the MT6 looks interesting, and it uses AA batteries my favorite (I use shed loads through work so I have a tons of spares).
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

sniper 55 wrote:
Deeps wrote:As a fellow torchaholic I'll be following this with interest. Sorry mate, can't think of anything with a 1000 lumen, personally I don't need it for EDC.
I'll see you at next weeks TA meeting mate... ;)

Ok maybe I don't really need a 1000, 500/700 is handy though if you need to check out something in the distance. Come to think of it, I was using 580 Lms last night and that was plenty to see the hillside.

There are loads of cheap torches using the 18650 batteries about. They make bold claims on the lumens but for me they're pretty impressive. I have one of the smaller 14500/AA ones in all my jacket pockets but for 'real' EDC I carry a few smaller ones, a AAA one that I got for less than a fiver but now is about 16 quid on ebay. :twisted: and a similar sized one that takes 3 button batteries. I seem to mind you're not keen on the buttons because of availability. That's why both, :D I can carry plenty sets of 3 batteries wrapped in electrical tape in a wallet (think I've got 5 sets of 3). Also a true utility nano with a spare set of batteries..... plus my phone.

Yeah, see you at the next meeting mate. :(
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Theres some crackers on ebay, found some little AAA pen type torches, supprisingly bright and about £2
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Enjoydeal-Ta ... 1438.l2649
There are some almost identical that use 2 AAA so better run time, They are claimed "1000 Lms" Yeah right, but I'd say they are around 100 Lms, maybe a bit more, plenty for finding something or getting home in the dark, I prefer them to the good old zoom AA crees, smaller and brighter. Go is a shirt pocket no probs.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

If you have a Maplins local to you, they are selling all their stock at up to 60% off, including torches, floodlights, worklights and batteries. It's costing me a fortune - I go past one twice a day on the way to work...
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

featherstick wrote:If you have a Maplins local to you, they are selling all their stock at up to 60% off, including torches, floodlights, worklights and batteries. It's costing me a fortune - I go past one twice a day on the way to work...
Got one farily close so I'll pop over in the morning and have a look on the way to a job. Thanks mate.
korolev

Post by korolev »

I just bought, on a whim, a Jetbeam. Goes to 480 lumens running on a 14500 and takes AA as well. Would recommend it (http://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/post ... 15&t=15556)

I have a number 18650 torches and whilst I like them for brightness and runtimes, the lack of an easily available drop-in disposable makes them a bit of a weak link.

A few years back in Turkey on hols the power went out for the whole town for about 12 hours. Fortunately I had a couple of AA jobbies and a quick trip to the local fag cabin furnished me with enough light to get me around all evening.