I'm thinking of getting a new EDC torch?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Bad Wombat

Re: I'm thinking of getting a new EDC torch?

Post by Bad Wombat »

My current favourite torch is the Zanflare F1. Though the price varies quite a lot.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

korolev wrote:I just bought, on a whim, a Jetbeam. Goes to 480 lumens running on a 14500 and takes AA as well. Would recommend it (http://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/post ... 15&t=15556)

I have a number 18650 torches and whilst I like them for brightness and runtimes, the lack of an easily available drop-in disposable makes them a bit of a weak link.

A few years back in Turkey on hols the power went out for the whole town for about 12 hours. Fortunately I had a couple of AA jobbies and a quick trip to the local fag cabin furnished me with enough light to get me around all evening.
The link doesn't work for me mate, but the torches do look interesting.
I'm half and half with 18650s, while I prefer "normal" batteries, they just dont have the power for the more high power stuff. I do like a AAA as my keyring light though, easy to get as a backup. Thanks.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Bad Wombat wrote:My current favourite torch is the Zanflare F1. Though the price varies quite a lot.
These look quite interesting and a good price, I'll have to have a look at some reviews when I get time.

Trouble is Mr's S is starting to notice how much kit I'm buying, and buying her the same only goes so far ;) sadly she's not a torchaholic like me. Not helped by the fact we were out in the pitch dark last night in a lane and my cheapy ebay cree was lighting up the path 50 yards away no bother..... still that does look nice.... :)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

sniper 55 wrote: The link doesn't work for me mate, but the torches do look interesting.
I'm half and half with 18650s, while I prefer "normal" batteries, they just dont have the power for the more high power stuff. I do like a AAA as my keyring light though, easy to get as a backup. Thanks.
The ones that take the 14500 battery are the thing then. They're the ones I keep in my jackets, the 14500 runs out, not a problem, bag a AA in them. Still give a lot of light.
korolev

Post by korolev »

sniper 55 wrote:
korolev wrote:I just bought, on a whim, a Jetbeam. Goes to 480 lumens running on a 14500 and takes AA as well. Would recommend it (http://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/post ... 15&t=15556)

I have a number 18650 torches and whilst I like them for brightness and runtimes, the lack of an easily available drop-in disposable makes them a bit of a weak link.

A few years back in Turkey on hols the power went out for the whole town for about 12 hours. Fortunately I had a couple of AA jobbies and a quick trip to the local fag cabin furnished me with enough light to get me around all evening.
The link doesn't work for me mate, but the torches do look interesting.

Sorry, try https://www.amazon.co.uk/JETBeam-Torche ... B073VKS71D
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Deeps wrote:
sniper 55 wrote: The link doesn't work for me mate, but the torches do look interesting.
The ones that take the 14500 battery are the thing then. They're the ones I keep in my jackets, the 14500 runs out, not a problem, bag a AA in them. Still give a lot of light.
Not had much luck with those mate. I bought a few for the cree torches but they seemed to die after about a dozen charges. I'll have to get some more from a different supplier and a new charger, see if that makes a difference.
Thanks
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

sniper 55 wrote:
Not had much luck with those mate. I bought a few for the cree torches but they seemed to die after about a dozen charges. I'll have to get some more from a different supplier and a new charger, see if that makes a difference.
Thanks[/quote]

I've got some cheap 14500's and some Nitecore ones. The Nitecore ones aren't cheap but the hold the charge for longer and don't seem to 'drain' when not in use. I've got a proper Nitecore charger and some cheaper (USB) ones and it doesn't seem to make any difference to the good batteries.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Yes I'll have to try some qood quality ones I think, got a new charger faved on ebay ready, does lots of different ones and supposed to be protected.

I had a night out a few days back so time to play with some of the torches I have, couriously one of the best for wandering around was an odd ebay find a while back. Iit's a single AA with a COB on the side, maybe a tad smaller than the zoom crees, the light is about the same power-ish but the beam is way better. A good hot spot for throw, and a nice big soft spill to see the sides of the path. Throws about 50 mt, haven't done a run time test yet. The COB isn't great outdoors but gives a good light in a room.
All for the usual couple of quid (think it was about £2.50?) the COB also has a beacon mode, and with the wide angle it should be visible a good way off.
korolev

Post by korolev »

sniper 55 wrote:Yes I'll have to try some qood quality ones I think, got a new charger faved on ebay ready, does lots of different ones and supposed to be protected.

I had a night out a few days back so time to play with some of the torches I have, couriously one of the best for wandering around was an odd ebay find a while back. Iit's a single AA with a COB on the side, maybe a tad smaller than the zoom crees, the light is about the same power-ish but the beam is way better. A good hot spot for throw, and a nice big soft spill to see the sides of the path. Throws about 50 mt, haven't done a run time test yet. The COB isn't great outdoors but gives a good light in a room.
All for the usual couple of quid (think it was about £2.50?) the COB also has a beacon mode, and with the wide angle it should be visible a good way off.
Be careful buying chargers off ebay, lot of dodgy fakes about and charging a li-Ion badly can be rather unpleasant.

Some info here : http://budgetlightforum.com/node/44203
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

korolev wrote:
sniper 55 wrote:Yes I'll have to try some qood quality ones I think, got a new charger faved on ebay ready, does lots of different ones and supposed to be protected.

Be careful buying chargers off ebay, lot of dodgy fakes about and charging a li-Ion badly can be rather unpleasant.

Some info here : http://budgetlightforum.com/node/44203
Thanks, it's hard to find a trustworthy source on line, even Amazon have fake stuff sometimes.