Reevaluating and resupplying

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
ukpreppergrrl

Re: Reevaluating and resupplying

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

ForgeCorvus wrote:I try and put my kits though a diet each year, they always seem to get fatter for some reason
Happens to us all as we get older! :lol:
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

My strength is fine, I'm not delusional, its not what it was but apart from the odd injury that throws a curve ball my way (arthritic elbow being the main one) I'm still a fairly strong guy. My stamina is a lot poorer and my days of running up hills (or pretty much anywhere faster than a jog for any distance) is in the past and I take a lot more breathers when walking up hills, the big difference is that it doesn't bother me anymore, the big advantage of being a more 'mature gent' :roll: is that my lack of fitness doesn't upset me the same as the younger me when I wasn't at the top of my game. I know I'll be getting worse, its the way of things, and I really don't care enough to try and regain any former glories, while I've not written myself off just yet, equally, I'll take what comes, preferably in a large glass. :D
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Deeps wrote:My strength is fine, I'm not delusional, its not what it was but apart from the odd injury that throws a curve ball my way (arthritic elbow being the main one) I'm still a fairly strong guy. My stamina is a lot poorer and my days of running up hills (or pretty much anywhere faster than a jog for any distance) is in the past and I take a lot more breathers when walking up hills, the big difference is that it doesn't bother me anymore, the big advantage of being a more 'mature gent' :roll: is that my lack of fitness doesn't upset me the same as the younger me when I wasn't at the top of my game. I know I'll be getting worse, its the way of things, and I really don't care enough to try and regain any former glories, while I've not written myself off just yet, equally, I'll take what comes, preferably in a large glass. :D
With age comes wisdom!

I always used to love watching communities building things, where the older, wiser members gave instruction to the younger fitter members, it was such a nice symbiosis of age and wisdom.

By the time we get past 50 it's going to get harder regardless of how much you hit the gym/treadmill, but i always tell myself the old saying:
Work smarter, not harder!

Reevaluating kit and personal prepping needs is always good, and i don't think it should ever be a defeatist or negative thing to do, things change, we change, so our preps need to change, nothing is going to cause more problems in any bad situation than apathy and stagnation. :D
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

yorkshirewolf wrote:
Deeps wrote:My strength is fine, I'm not delusional, its not what it was but apart from the odd injury that throws a curve ball my way (arthritic elbow being the main one) I'm still a fairly strong guy. My stamina is a lot poorer and my days of running up hills (or pretty much anywhere faster than a jog for any distance) is in the past and I take a lot more breathers when walking up hills, the big difference is that it doesn't bother me anymore, the big advantage of being a more 'mature gent' :roll: is that my lack of fitness doesn't upset me the same as the younger me when I wasn't at the top of my game. I know I'll be getting worse, its the way of things, and I really don't care enough to try and regain any former glories, while I've not written myself off just yet, equally, I'll take what comes, preferably in a large glass. :D
With age comes wisdom!

I always used to love watching communities building things, where the older, wiser members gave instruction to the younger fitter members, it was such a nice symbiosis of age and wisdom.

By the time we get past 50 it's going to get harder regardless of how much you hit the gym/treadmill, but i always tell myself the old saying:
Work smarter, not harder!

Reevaluating kit and personal prepping needs is always good, and i don't think it should ever be a defeatist or negative thing to do, things change, we change, so our preps need to change, nothing is going to cause more problems in any bad situation than apathy and stagnation. :D
Aye, maybe, but not class, I still think farts are the funniest thing in the world. :oops:

Definitely a lot in what you say, you go with where you are, not where you'd like to be. I'd like to be slimmer and have an extra couple of inches in a few places, it is what it is though. :(
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Deeps wrote:
yorkshirewolf wrote:With age comes wisdom!
Aye, maybe, but not class, I still think farts are the funniest thing in the world. :oops:
Well you're in luck! If my octogenarian father is anything to go by ones world gets more explosive as one gets older! :lol: Always a silver lining :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

ForgeCorvus wrote: I try and put my kits though a diet each year, they always seem to get fatter for some reason
:mrgreen: The other factor is cost,

I could probably buy 7 sets of complete sleeping, carrying, wearing and cooking systems for the price of one lightweight system.

Mind you, you can feel the difference in weight straight away, not just in your wallet :mrgreen:

Here's a perspective on lightweight from someone who's walked the walk, literally:

Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
the cat in the hat

Post by the cat in the hat »

I got ill a few years ago and have had to change my lifestyle dramatically, Always had really physical jobs and was very strong and fit before, I got very depressed as it was like invasion of the body snatchers, suddenly i could not walk up a flight of stairs. I most of the time work within my limits now, but when I push it dont i know about it.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Like many of you I've also had to accept failing health and "age" and adapt my preps accordingly. These days i'm focused more on home security, food production and improving my health.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"