Reevaluating and resupplying

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
pseudonym

Reevaluating and resupplying

Post by pseudonym »

Ill health and a lifestyle change over the last 2 years has me in a quandry.

Most of my equipment is too heavy for me to carry and the foodstuffs stored incorrect for my diet.

The food I'm not too worried about as others can eat that, and if my medication becomes unavailable, the diet won't matter.

So,

Time to start culling and selling off all my heavy rucksacks, sleeping bags, cooking systems, boots, bivvybags etc.

The lightweight replacements are expensive but allow me to still get out and about.

Anything you've had to change since you've started?
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Re: Reevaluating and resupplying

Post by Deeps »

I think we all tweak things as we go on whether its smaller/lighter or just an upgrade or just a case of wanting to treat yourself to some new 'shiny shiny'. Hopefully you can still get out to do your thang mate.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Deeps wrote:Hopefully you can still get out to do your thang mate.

Thanks, my Expedition days are over I think, so static camps and telling of tall tales are the way forward.

Just pull up a sandbag ;)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I did the very same thing, for exactly the same reasons a few years ago. I go camping these days, not backpacking. I have to say, it's just as good and I'm not putting my variable health in any sort of jeopardy. It's also nice to have a tent I can walk into. :D
I have had trouble letting go of my kit :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

pseudonym wrote:Ill health and a lifestyle change over the last 2 years has me in a quandry.

Most of my equipment is too heavy for me to carry and the foodstuffs stored incorrect for my diet.

Anything you've had to change since you've started?
Yep ... I've had to recently accept that if I needed to bug out under my own power, carrying a tent and sleeping in it till I got to somewhere safe, that sort of *extreme* bugout, rather than having some benefit from an official evacuation, I'd probably be one of the ones that wouldn't make it. Somebody of my age has to be at peak physical fitness to do that stuff, and I'm not, with no prospect of working at it making it all okay again. It *might* change for the better after this summer, as I'm feeling a bit better than this time last year. No guarantees, but I'll be *really* happy if it does.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

The health/fitness aspect is something I should be starting to think about. I'll be 50 soon so on the way down from my peak. I'm a fat bassa too which one way or another tends to catch up, even if its just the knees. Its just a pity pies and bevvy are so 'morish'. More phys I guess.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I'm another who is finding it harder, my old injuries are starting to affect my mobility, not too bad yet, but it's much harder than it was to get up hills and things.
I'm trimming weight where I can.
Trouble is in my head I'm still 25 and super fit... sadly my body has a different opinion. ;)
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Just thought I'd also subscribe to the "I'm an old fart who's falling apart at the seams" thread! :D In the immortal words of my podiatrist when I was 40 (some considerable time ago!) "Well, your musculature has coped very well with your deformities over the years but you're not getting any younger and it's starting to take its toll" :shock: Joints just don't want to bend like they used to. Particularly after they've been punished a bit! Growing older is a pi$$er! But I've always been a bug-in kinda gal with no intention of walking 50 miles a day to whatever nirvana may or may not be at the end of the rainbow come the end of the world, so I guess it's not really forcing a change of my prepper plans. But yes, my hobbies are changing...
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
jansman

Post by jansman »

Ha ha :lol: all of the above! When I fish I go as lightweight as possible.I have ' no dig' beds in the garden.I have even taken a job that is easier on my aching joints( although the pay did swing it!). You cannot stop the passage of time,and sadly,it takes its toll on the body.My dentist told me that in evolutionary terms,the human body is only designed to last until forty years.After that time, he joked,it was up to blokes like him to keep it going. :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

sniper 55 wrote: Trouble is in my head I'm still 25 and super fit... sadly my body has a different opinion. ;)
Not just me then..... Personally I think I've inherited my Dad's knees (and he'd been using them for 80 odd years)

I try and put my kits though a diet each year, they always seem to get fatter for some reason
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar