Viper tactical light????

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
sniper 55

Viper tactical light????

Post by sniper 55 »

I bought a viper tactical light this week to clip onto some molle, anybody got one? Mines seems really dim, I don't fancy moving around at night with it. I know it's only 1 watt but I'm not convinced.
BugOut66

Re: Viper tactical light????

Post by BugOut66 »

I'm big into flashlights.

Can you link to the light you bought?
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

This is the same one I got (from a different supplier but I'm out and cant check) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Viper-Tactical ... B00LA1GEA8 I've already sent mine back as it's so dim it's more or less useless. I don't know if it's faulty or just low powered, 1 watt should be half decent for a small torch so I'm guessing it's duff.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

sniper 55 wrote:This is the same one I got (from a different supplier but I'm out and cant check) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Viper-Tactical ... B00LA1GEA8 I've already sent mine back as it's so dim it's more or less useless. I don't know if it's faulty or just low powered, 1 watt should be half decent for a small torch so I'm guessing it's duff.
I've got the AAA version of the true utility right angle torch, its fine, does what I expect for a wee torch.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/True-Utility-T ... CQEENQY5JV

Think I paid a bit less but not massively than quoted on amazon. I do get why people want top whack torches, top whack 'anything' for that matter but I'm happy with the couple of quid cheapy cree types, I do tend to put very good Nitecore batteries in them but its probably more economical to just carry a spare cheap version of the 14500 battery in your pocket as a spare. I do get torch envy though....
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

When I bought it it was a toss up between the viper molle and the manker EO3H. I wanted a small right angle to clip onto a front mounted molle pouch. Ok I didn't need a million Lms but I was hoping to see where I was going, and that isn't going to happen with the viper I got.
To be fair it might be a duff one, certainly they look a lot brighter in the videos I'm seen than the one I got.
I've sent it back so we'll see what the replacement is like.
As it stands the viper is about bright enough to read a map or check your watch, but I don't fancy trying to walk at night with it. Those cheapy AA ebay torches with the zoom head are probably 15-20 times brighter no problem. The viper I got isn't much brighter than moonlight mode on my thrunight keyring torch. :(
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

After our posts last night (and a couple of glasses of rouge :oops: ) I ordered a couple of these smally right angles.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Due to the wonders of 'Prime' I'll let you know how they work out later today. :)
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Looks tidy, the button cells puts me off a bit, I've not had much luck with those, I like AA or AAA, easy to get.
If you have a tenner spare grab an olight i3e eos mono for your keys, I've had one on my keys for about 2 years now, well impressed. Weighs nothing empty, one AAA gives about 30 mins (only one power setting) but it's around 120-130 Lm, bags of light for moving around at night.
Mrs S was so impressed she wanted one for Christmas, and she's a fussy begger.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

sniper 55 wrote:Looks tidy, the button cells puts me off a bit, I've not had much luck with those, I like AA or AAA, easy to get.
If you have a tenner spare grab an olight i3e eos mono for your keys, I've had one on my keys for about 2 years now, well impressed. Weighs nothing empty, one AAA gives about 30 mins (only one power setting) but it's around 120-130 Lm, bags of light for moving around at night.
Mrs S was so impressed she wanted one for Christmas, and she's a fussy begger.
Totally get where you're coming from on the button cells, by preference I go for torches that can use AA or AAA. Even my cree types that can take the 14500/18650 can accommodate them, they're everywhere.

I've got a smally torch that I keep on my key chain that takes them and being the weirdo that I am I ordered a galloon of them, of course my inner weirdo ordered another 150 when I got the latest pair of torches. :tinfoil Six quid for all those batteries, its buttons really..... :roll: (Apologies for that one :P ) The advantage of the button batteries is you can put a set of 3 between a couple of bits of electrical tape and they take up next to no room in a pocket or wallet, I keep 3 sets in my second wallet.

I also have a smally AAA torch in my pocket too of course, attached to my SAK.

Those new True utility torches are okay, considering they're not that much smaller than the AAA one they seem to put out a lot less light but its been too light to do a proper trial. Early intel suggests the AAA version is better but hey, more torches. :D
Citizen H

Post by Citizen H »

for build quality and value for money Id go with...

ROLSON ALUMINIUM Z2 TORCH BLACK 3W & 20MM X 145MM 61657 BLACK.

trust me I have 4, and at £3.75 you cant go wrong, buy one you wont be disappointed
Im just hoping for the best and preparing for the worse.

Citizen "H"
korolev

Post by korolev »

I have a number of quality torches and I also have a number of cheapo sk68 from ebay. For about £1.50 a pop they are ideal for giving/lending/losing. I tend to have a few knocking about and buy them 5 at a time every couple of years.