My EDC bag. A brief tour on how i started and where i'm at.

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Alex_Wolf
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:35 am

My EDC bag. A brief tour on how i started and where i'm at.

Post by Alex_Wolf » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:47 pm

First of all, Hello v2
I don't believe i've posted anything on here aside from the welcome board.
I want to try keep this rather brief. i could waffle on for a while.
Began at 18, now 26.

So i started off with youtube and a tesco brand water bladder bag (minus the water bladder)
I got myself the Maxpedition EDC organizer, old school, only one size at the time. began to outfit it with bit and pieces i have had the need in the past.
I was running with that for about a year, then decided an upgrade was needed. I had the need and desire to go bigger, but in a small way. i went through two cheap, trial run bags. the knock offs for Maxpedition cross and lunada gearslinger. i found the single slung bags easier to access so i worked with them for a while. the cross wasn't doing it for me, im a fickler for organizing and lacked my required ability. So i ran the knock of gearslinger, with some cheeky upgrades. While worn, water on left, pouch on right. the bag for me, allowed organization. Using the EDC organizer along side other forms of storage i was able to open my bag and be able to pull out what was needed and know the contents won't fall out when doing so.
I moved onto slightly more pressing matters. First Aid. At the time i knew near nothing about it, so, i got myself a small medkit from Karrimor. Small, Red and a nice starter pack to work on. organizing was easy and packing it full was fun. I only carry what i know to use.
So around another year goes by, and a rather cold, frosty, slightly icy day shows up and as i travel to work, the plastic buckle that allows me to adjust the length of my shoulder strap snaps in half. completely shattered and one half lost.. somewhere.. being the macgyver that i am, i do a hot fix that since lasted me.
But that was when i knew i needed to be serious about the kit i take. If a small gust of cold air can do that, imagine what the east beast could have done. So, i stare aimlessly into my bank account, accounting for every penny of incoming and outgoings. I take the plunge but i do the whole bag in one go.

So, for those who have read this far, this is my current EDC set up:
Maxpedition Lunada Gearslinger Shoulder Bag - Outfitted with Maxpedition Black Personal Organizer, (not idiot proof but hidden well enough)
Maxpedition FR1 Combat Medical Pouch - On the right, Beefed out as much as possible and now an Entry Level First Aider
Maxpedition Bottle Holder - On the left, outfitted with a Camelbak 750ml bottle, Light My Fire Titanium Spork, energy tabs, 8 water purification tabs
Maxpedition JANUS Extension - Across the chest for easier access to selected items.

I know that's not a detailed inventory of what i carry, i will eventually get around to posting this, right now what i carry is pretty standard kit to most others.
I am working on a portable weather kit, i call "TAWS" My Thermal and Weather System. It's tricky to make it smaller then my current version of this, my v1 is held within a bright red dry sack which i carabiner to the molle on the bag. It works but i stand out like a sore thumb.
It contains:
Collapsible rain coat
Collapsible Rain trousers
Thermal hat
Thermal gloves

My EDC attire will always contain:
Karrimor cargo trousers
Karrimor body warmer
Karrimor Mid-top, thermal boots
Snood
Arm Warmers
Hooded Jacket

Be it from lack of meat on my bones, i tend to feel the effects of weather quite easily so even on a warm summer day i can occasionally get quite cold.

I am hoping this is in the right section. Was either here or the welcome section again.
Stay safe, Stay ontop!

~Wolf

grenfell
Posts: 2320
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: My EDC bag. A brief tour on how i started and where i'm

Post by grenfell » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:19 pm

Certainly a lot more than I carry , well at least on my person I do stuff in my van . I recently started a thread about a pair of pliers I carry and those not all of the time . However , if you wish to carry more that's your prerogative and it looks like you've put considerable thought into what you carry . I've often thought that there isn't any sort of "standard" we should all carry , just carry what makes one feel comfortable and prepared "enough" , and ther's nothing wrong with being self critical and changing items or quantities at any time. I certainly enjoy reading about others preps even if there are times when I feel just the tiniest bit inadequate for not having it all to hand.

Alex_Wolf
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:35 am

Re: My EDC bag. A brief tour on how i started and where i'm

Post by Alex_Wolf » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:58 am

grenfell wrote:Certainly a lot more than I carry , well at least on my person I do stuff in my van . I recently started a thread about a pair of pliers I carry and those not all of the time . However , if you wish to carry more that's your prerogative and it looks like you've put considerable thought into what you carry . I've often thought that there isn't any sort of "standard" we should all carry , just carry what makes one feel comfortable and prepared "enough" , and ther's nothing wrong with being self critical and changing items or quantities at any time. I certainly enjoy reading about others preps even if there are times when I feel just the tiniest bit inadequate for not having it all to hand.
Thank you, i don't think i carry too much, the bulk of my inventory is from the micro edc organizer. I do change out items regularly to trial run. I'm currently running with near nothing in my kit so i don't get told off by airport's TSA when my upcoming travel to Ireland happens in a few days.

When i say basic, i mostly mean the 5 C's but i do carry a small pencil case which i've turned into a small personal hygiene kit, my vape maintenance kit and a camera case retrofitted to be a small charging kit. I don't have a vehicle, not even a push bike anymore. That was stolen a while back and never got around to getting a new one. I've already got plans and ideas for when i do end up getting a whip. Hell, i don't even own a dog yet but i have a wish list of kit that the dog will carry with him.

As my town is fairly small, a walk to the local shops is across the road and to the town is within 30 minutes so for me, going small is better.

I know i'm still new to it all, there's much i can still learn. for my current surroundings i think im all set. given that im moving to new and foreign soil, i know i'm going to need to carry more or just have the capacity to cargo more, i have my eye on two bags, the Falcon II and Sitka Gearslinger. I've worn them both and they're just the right size for me. comfortable and near twice the cargo space then my current bag. being that i'm most likely going to be living around an hour commute via train, i know im going to need to convert my edc bag more into a GHB.

I really can waffle on lol

BugOut66
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 2:52 pm

Re: My EDC bag. A brief tour on how i started and where i'm

Post by BugOut66 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:57 pm

Nice gear.

Maxpedition stuff is expensive, but awesome.

How much did all the maxpedition gear cost?

User avatar
Jamesey1981
Posts: 921
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:46 pm
Location: A Postbox on Baker Street.
Contact:

Re: My EDC bag. A brief tour on how i started and where i'm

Post by Jamesey1981 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:32 pm

I have one suggestion, don't know what you carry food wise, saw the energy tablets, I carry those too, but I would also say to chuck in a couple of protein bars, they give you energy but it's not all from sugar so it lasts a bit longer.

Alex_Wolf
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:35 am

Re: My EDC bag. A brief tour on how i started and where i'm

Post by Alex_Wolf » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:09 am

Jamesey1981 wrote:I have one suggestion, don't know what you carry food wise, saw the energy tablets, I carry those too, but I would also say to chuck in a couple of protein bars, they give you energy but it's not all from sugar so it lasts a bit longer.
Generally when i'm out and about, i tend to have something to eat prior and something to nibble on during the day. i tried carrying ceral bars but the only brand i could find that i didn't scoff in one go was a tad expensive. water is usually top priority for me!

grenfell
Posts: 2320
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: My EDC bag. A brief tour on how i started and where i'm

Post by grenfell » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:17 pm

Alex_Wolf wrote:
Jamesey1981 wrote:I have one suggestion, don't know what you carry food wise, saw the energy tablets, I carry those too, but I would also say to chuck in a couple of protein bars, they give you energy but it's not all from sugar so it lasts a bit longer.
Generally when i'm out and about, i tend to have something to eat prior and something to nibble on during the day. i tried carrying ceral bars but the only brand i could find that i didn't scoff in one go was a tad expensive.
There's always the D ration idea "high in food value but tasting no better than a boiled potatoe " . Seems to have worked a little too well in the non tempting taste department as it seems more were chucked than eaten :D

Alex_Wolf
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:35 am

Re: My EDC bag. A brief tour on how i started and where i'm

Post by Alex_Wolf » Mon May 06, 2019 1:47 am

BugOut66 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:57 pm
Nice gear.

Maxpedition stuff is expensive, but awesome.

How much did all the maxpedition gear cost?
And this is why i need to remember my login! All in all, was about 230, with free shipping on most of the items. I've used the cheap stuff before, some have survived, most of it perished rapidly. I have strapped 2x4L bottles to the bag, my back gave out and the bag laughed wanting more. to this day i still use it and keep updating it

Alex_Wolf
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:35 am

Re: My EDC bag. A brief tour on how i started and where i'm

Post by Alex_Wolf » Mon May 06, 2019 1:55 am

Jamesey1981 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:32 pm
I have one suggestion, don't know what you carry food wise, saw the energy tablets, I carry those too, but I would also say to chuck in a couple of protein bars, they give you energy but it's not all from sugar so it lasts a bit longer.
I did start carrying some cheap (yet oh so tasty) cereal bars. trouble was they either melted or just plain old got eaten. Have recently changed to nutrigrain bars, they dont melt but are easily turned to dust if not kept somewhat protected. They're nice but not something i would go out of my way to devour. makes a decent snack.

User avatar
Deeps
Posts: 5523
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:36 pm

Re: My EDC bag. A brief tour on how i started and where i'm

Post by Deeps » Mon May 06, 2019 10:46 am

Alex_Wolf wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:55 am
Jamesey1981 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:32 pm
I have one suggestion, don't know what you carry food wise, saw the energy tablets, I carry those too, but I would also say to chuck in a couple of protein bars, they give you energy but it's not all from sugar so it lasts a bit longer.
I did start carrying some cheap (yet oh so tasty) cereal bars. trouble was they either melted or just plain old got eaten. Have recently changed to nutrigrain bars, they dont melt but are easily turned to dust if not kept somewhat protected. They're nice but not something i would go out of my way to devour. makes a decent snack.
There are recipes out there to make your own energy type bars if that's something you fancy, if you make them too nice then of course you might be tempted to just trough them anyway of course.

Post Reply