The pliers in my pocket

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
grenfell

The pliers in my pocket

Post by grenfell »

I know a lot of people carrry a multi tool of one form or another. I carry a Swiss Army knife practically all the time and that is often augmented with a pair of pliers probably down to that doing the job and me also probably being too tight to buy a shiny new multi tool.
Now to the pliers . They are around 5" long and the ends of the handles are shaped. One is ground into what appears to be a flat screwdriver and the other into a more pointed shape . For illustration I've found a very similar pair on eBay ,
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Unusual-Design- ... noapp=true
Scroll through the pictures and you'll see the ends. It's more the spike that has puzzled me and it's actual intended use. I asked elseware and someone said it's for winding or unwinding cables , opening up twisted cables , sort of a marlin spike I suppose. Someone else said it was designed as areamer for the ends of cut tube , a similar shape is found on gas fitters pliers for instance.
Does anyone else have any suggestions with the exception of it's to help a Boy Scout get a stone out of a horses hoof.
korolev

Re: The pliers in my pocket

Post by korolev »

I think it's a "drift spike". When you are aligninig two drilled bits of metal, you use the spike to line up the holes so you can put a bolt or rivet in.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Yes, I'd say wire-related explanations are close to the mark. You can imagine having to untangle or separate all sorts of cable and wire as a linesman, can't you?

I have a pliers on my Leatherman. It's just about the only tool I use on it...some multi-tool!
korolev

Post by korolev »

featherstick wrote:Yes, I'd say wire-related explanations are close to the mark. You can imagine having to untangle or separate all sorts of cable and wire as a linesman, can't you?

I have a pliers on my Leatherman. It's just about the only tool I use on it...some multi-tool!
I was a linesman for 7 years, never had to untangle it like that. If you pull 0.5mm copper wire too hard it will break. Far better to untagle it by hand (Of course if it was installed properly it wouldn't be tangled)
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

korolev wrote:I think it's a "drift spike". When you are aligninig two drilled bits of metal, you use the spike to line up the holes so you can put a bolt or rivet in.

Makes sense at least with thin pieces. The spike on mine is around 1/4" thick and 1/2" long before the curve of the handles start so for small holes on thicker metal might not work .
Perhaps it's a general purpose use it for whatever type of spike as every suggestion I've heard so far has a certain degree of plausibility :?
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I can't see it properly (small screen here) but it's not a demolition pliers/crimpers tool with the spike for making holes for the detonator? I have seen a tool like a pliers made just for that job but it was a good while ago.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Fencing pliers too perhaps?
korolev

Post by korolev »

featherstick wrote:Fencing pliers too perhaps?
I thought they used swords...
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Rapier wit?
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

featherstick wrote:Fencing pliers too perhaps?
Looking at them properly that would be my guess.