Help sought on rechargeable PV LED solar lanterns

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
preppergb

Help sought on rechargeable PV LED solar lanterns

Post by preppergb »

Ok so I'm getting just a tiny bit concerned about possible energy and power issues because (A) winter has gone on a long time (B) the Russian issue (C) the big hole in the Norwegian gas pipeline (D) our useless government (all flavours) (C) The radio reports this AM that the UK is critically low on gas reserves etc AND the fact that some of my preps are a bit dated EG I have tons of candles, light Sticks even Calor gas lanterns but ALL require fuel or replacing when used.

So I'm fishing around for some VERY HIGH QUALITY solar rechargeable LED Lanterns with a good battery pack size. Can anyone give me any recommendations please. if its of any use I'm looking for at least 5 hours of useable light per charged lantern.
Deeps

Re: Help sought on rechargeable PV LED solar lanterns

Post by Deeps »

Is it for lighting the house (inside) or something else mate. Personally I've got various battery powered, powerbank/lamp and even a calor gas lamp. I'm not expecting to have my house as well lit as it would be on the mains. I've got a camping solar panel to recharge batteries and powerbanks.

It might not be wise to have too much light if the rest of the street is blacked out anyway. Give us a bit more on what you want them for mate.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

Its for indoors as emergency lighting, we had a power cut a week ago and with my EDC torch it took me twenty minute to find and unpack the candles and lanterns, i was not impressed with the cycalume light sticks either. So I thought if i had a good quality solar powered camping lantern permanently being charged if there was another power cut I could immediately illuminate our safe room and get the candle lanterns out in a more leisurely manner. AND if they prove to be good and durable i would probably get a few more to replace SOME of the candles with. We went onto candle lanterns ( nice stainless ones from sainburies) after we managed to accidentally set a curtain on fire with a candle some time ago.

We fitted both blackout blinds and curtains for SHTF privacy and to retain heat.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I've got torches dotted round, by the bed, by the front door, jacket pockets etc. I also keep one of these beside my laptop table in the living room.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Mini-LED ... ib25P4VmDQ

If the power goes off at night I can go and get something more substantial, assuming its not getting too late, I'd just go to bed and read my kindle then.

It sounds like you need to organise your stuff mate, no moral highground here, I've been trying to psych myself up for a reorganisation for a while. :oops: The lightsticks aren't really designed to replace 'bright light', they can give you enough to read screens etc or to attract attention more.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

Always reorganising my stuff :) but in this asylum of a home as time goes by if it doesn't get used much it inevitably get reorganised to the back of the cupboard / shed / loft :)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

preppergb wrote:Always reorganising my stuff :) but in this asylum of a home as time goes by if it doesn't get used much it inevitably get reorganised to the back of the cupboard / shed / loft :)
Yeah, I've got stuff in the garage and in a room upstairs, I know what is in each compartment but sometimes that's it, other stuff I could put my hand on. I've got a load of candles and candle holding lanterns that are out in the garage, they're more for if the power is out the day after, we haven't had anything like that, we've not even had a short term power cut in a long time, I'll muddle through on what I have to hand for a night.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

In one of my previous houses I more or less run a second set of wiring (low voltage) around the house and fitted caravan lights (before the days of leds) this was run from a couple of lorry batteries which were trickle charged now and again in the shed.
These days leds would be the way to go, you'd get a lot more light and a few batteries would last ages.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Yep I sort of agree with Sniper. I have some 5V LED lights that I plug into power banks and then recharge the power banks from a 20W 12V Solar panel. This way, the money goes into a decent solar panel that is multifunctional, not just a light source.
I have heard the Coleman Solar Lanterns are the bits though if you want just lanterns.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

I use these,made by Rolson.
IMG_20180315_163925.jpg
72 LED,4X AA batteries.Cheap and bright.

£7.99 on e bay at the moment.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote:I use these,made by Rolson.
IMG_20180315_163925.jpg
72 LED,4X AA batteries.Cheap and bright.

£7.99 on e bay at the moment.
Got a few of them too, got them in B & M or the like for a fiver. I know exactly where they are and one has batteries in ready to go (use it in the loft if I can't be arsed dropping the cable for the lights up there).