air rifle chat ( if permissable to mods)

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
M0RPH3US

Re: air rifle chat ( if permissable to mods)

Post by M0RPH3US »

i currently run the hamerelli blackout 800 with A 3-9 X40 Scope, its nice and powerfull with a removable silencer which can also alter the barrel lenth from 'sniper mode' to short barrell and it shoots really well ive taken her out a few times.
Slightlyparanoid

Post by Slightlyparanoid »

A bit late to this discussion but I'm quite an enthusiast when it comes to air rifles. Over the years I've owned dozens, but the one I've really gelled with is my single shot BSA Ultra tactical PCP. It's often seen as a kid's gun or a starter gun, but I love the fact it is compact, more accurate than I'm capable of being, easy to strip and clean, and cheap enough that I don't panic if I knock it. With a moderator it is near silent in operation.
My only concern is that if it was needed for hunting then the chances are access to gas refills will likely be nil. So I have a number of springers alongside the PCP which will work without any other supplies. My favourite is my full power HW35 although if I was looking to buy with hunting in mind I'd seriously consider either an hw97/hw77 or an air arms TX200. Both are solid, dependable and pellet on pellet accurate.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Slightlyparanoid wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:00 pm My only concern is that if it was needed for hunting then the chances are access to gas refills will likely be nil
You could get a stirrup pump. They're not nearly as much hard work as people claim. Don't pump fast, pump slowly and always go to the top and the bottom of each stroke. Unless you're only 3 stone soaking wet it's completely doable and doesn't make you sweat or push up your heart rate to dangerous levels. I can do it and I'm a girlie! ;) That said, I concur with having springer backups, but you don't have to abandon your favourite PCP just when you might need it most.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

ukpreppergrrl wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:36 am
Slightlyparanoid wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:00 pm My only concern is that if it was needed for hunting then the chances are access to gas refills will likely be nil
You could get a stirrup pump. They're not nearly as much hard work as people claim. Don't pump fast, pump slowly and always go to the top and the bottom of each stroke. Unless you're only 3 stone soaking wet it's completely doable and doesn't make you sweat or push up your heart rate to dangerous levels. I can do it and I'm a girlie! ;) That said, I concur with having springer backups, but you don't have to abandon your favourite PCP just when you might need it most.
Is it largely about the diving air being stripped of moisture and therefore not causing corrosion, and the stirrup pump just using ordinary (moist) air? When you are paying for a high end PCP or even a middle of the road one then you want it to last.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Plymtom wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:17 pm
ukpreppergrrl wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:36 am
Is it largely about the diving air being stripped of moisture and therefore not causing corrosion, and the stirrup pump just using ordinary (moist) air? When you are paying for a high end PCP or even a middle of the road one then you want it to last.
The stirrup pump has a drying thing built in though yes it's not as dry as diving air. But this is for post-event when the diving air is not available, but hunting/vermin control with a well-known rifle is required. I just thought that given post-event you really need to be using a rifle with which you are very familiar so as to ensure meat on the table or vermin being killed. The stirrup pump would mean that there's no need to write off your familiar PCP and use a gun with which you are not as familiar.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I'm no expert I've got a BSA supersport carbine :) Can't afford fancy PCP air rifles... keep wanting more things that go bang, Daughter has a CO2 SMK thing for plinking, Son has a BSA springer too, I'm glad the stirrup pump has a drying thingy, I suppose a pellet mould would be useful too.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Slightlyparanoid wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:00 pm A bit late to this discussion but I'm quite an enthusiast when it comes to air rifles. Over the years I've owned dozens, but the one I've really gelled with is my single shot BSA Ultra tactical PCP. It's often seen as a kid's gun or a starter gun, but I love the fact it is compact, more accurate than I'm capable of being, easy to strip and clean, and cheap enough that I don't panic if I knock it. With a moderator it is near silent in operation.
My only concern is that if it was needed for hunting then the chances are access to gas refills will likely be nil. So I have a number of springers alongside the PCP which will work without any other supplies. My favourite is my full power HW35 although if I was looking to buy with hunting in mind I'd seriously consider either an hw97/hw77 or an air arms TX200. Both are solid, dependable and pellet on pellet accurate.
I have an hw35 with a night scope. I bought it way back in the eighties. Nice gun, and I nailed a lot of bunnies at dusk with it. 35 years old, and still good. I am still a fan of springers. Low tech.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yet another topic I'd really like to take action on. I think it'll come *after* the generator, but I yearn for the ability to kill rats, not just trap them, though I could never do it where it really needs to be done - in the garden - as I live in suburbia, i.e. no safe backstop.

Is there a book on pest control in the UK thats accessible to a complete beginner? I don't own any firearms or any books at all, I've had one session at the local Rifle Association which was incredibly boring (5 shots in two hours, please don't tell me thats normal).

I do like the idea on several levels:
- electronic machine gun onto a four foot wide screen on Brighton Pier :lol: :lol: :lol: the e-version of plinking, I suppose.
- pest control, sadly not preventing rats getting into my loft, but this instead http://ateo.org.uk/pest-control/
- I recently saw an old Hugh Fearnley W episode where the guy he was with shot 100 pigeons ... come the apocalypse, thats really going to help :mrgreen:
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:59 pm Is there a book on pest control in the UK thats accessible to a complete beginner? I don't own any firearms or any books at all, I've had one session at the local Rifle Association which was incredibly boring (5 shots in two hours, please don't tell me thats normal).
Youtube is probably the best bet to see how different people do the pest control, as for your experience at the local rifle association, sorry to say these days it doesn't begin all that well, there's a fair bit if safety training to bore your bottom off, but before long people are saying "here have a go on this" unless of course you have landed somewhere I've never been where you have to wear half a cow and shoot tiny little bullets through something that looks like it fell off of a robot :lol: I tell you it's a wonderful thing to do target shooting, whilst I understand the hatred of vermin and the need to control many species, I like it that we can do this without killing anything, try somewhere else, and more than once, it gets better, if it doesn't, try another place it's great fun.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Plymtom wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:07 pm I tell you it's a wonderful thing to do target shooting, whilst I understand the hatred of vermin and the need to control many species, I like it that we can do this without killing anything, try somewhere else, and more than once, it gets better, if it doesn't, try another place it's great fun.
Thanks Plymtom - that's what I'd actually prefer - I have very fond memories of the e-machine gun on Brighton Pier :lol: that's been overshadowed in the last few years by my problems with rats in the attic, but the fun bit is my deeper reality - I'm a vegetarian, after all :lol: killing isn't really my thing.

The rifle association was very disappointing - its walking distance from me, it would have been really convenient, and it's also difficult with the timing: I'm much healthier than I was, but the appointment I had was at 8.30 at night, and thats too late for me to concentrate well on learning such a new, challenging skill.

Another project for the list ...