Are pockets too much to ask?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jansman

Re: Are pockets too much to ask?

Post by jansman »

Oh yes,I forgot; the thread was about modern outdoor coats NOT having pockets. My Barbour has loads. :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote:Oh yes,I forgot; the thread was about modern outdoor coats NOT having pockets. My Barbour has loads. :lol:
So does mine. And a detachable hood. I'm feeling pretty smug about that.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

pseudonym wrote:
Brambles wrote:Could we try and have a bit of civility towards each other please? I don't want to have a lock a thread over some stupid exuberance of testosterone. Thanks.
That's sexist.... :tinfoil

:mrgreen:
I thought she said Toblerone! Haven't seen one of those for ages! :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I suppose it's horses for courses, I've never gone top of the range for jackets but then I no longer need to go out for extended periods, even when I do go out in the cold and wet it's either not for long or largely under cover so to spend the sort of money we're talking would be mad. I had wax jacket years ago, it worked well for keeping me dry and warm, but it all fell down when working in it because stuff stuck to it like S to a blanket, and then it would only come off on car seats ( and in the case of splinters stick in you later when the weather warmed up) and the like, I imagine also a bit of a problem if you have pets, a bit like someone with bad dandruff not wanting to wear black :lol:

I can digress even further to say have you the problem I do when it comes to lots of pockets, never seeming to be able to adopt a regime of what to keep where, or remembering which one the car keys is in?
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

When it comes to pockets, I'd rather have few but large then half a gazillion each of which only holds a skinny phone.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ForgeCorvus wrote:When it comes to pockets, I'd rather have few but large then half a gazillion each of which only holds a skinny phone.
The main waterproof jacket I wear out and about has the 2 pretty big pockets, handy but I find they get quite bulky quite quickly, I suppose I could put less in them but what are the chances. :lol:
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I've done the waxed jacket thing with Barbour and Belstaff, thanks but no thanks. Great for sitting on top of a tractor or standing in a hedgerow waiting for a pheasant, not so much for moving fast or running after the kids, especially when you're as sweaty as me. Plus the cleaning and maintenance is easier with a modern anorak.

Deerhunter looks good but pricey. Rohan ditto. I'll have to find an outlet where I can try a few one, and also be prepared to spend a few quid.

Thanks all.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Might have found my jacket:

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/ ... mock/34637

Watch the video too - better with sound on. If I buy one, I'll do a review.

The product descriptions are worth reading for entertainment value alone.
Citizen H

Post by Citizen H »

featherstick wrote:I have a much-loved Berghaus jacket, that I bought years ago for when I was abroad with the Red Cross. It has a long tail, a huge adjustable hood with a wire peak, a double zip, velcro cuffs, a double storm flap with a little channel to stop water ingress if you're in a gale, a waistline draw string to keep heat in, bellows pockets at thigh level, an inner pocket, and two enormous great map pockets on the chest, with 9" zips, which extend right the way back under the armpit. These pockets are enormous, and so, so handy. For instance, in the recent snow I had a small thermos of hot Ribena in each one plus snack bars, replacement gloves, and still had space to stuff hats and things as the kids warmed up and cooled down. The pockets are great.

Can I find something similar with the same features? No I can't.

It's really clear that manufacturers are cutting back on all the little details that make up the total package to preserve or improve their margins. So an anorak won't have a double zip, or doesn't have storm flaps, or you can't adjust the hood....

Mostly the pockets are gone. Now all pockets seem to be mobile phone sized at best. Even on the Berghaus site, so-called "map pockets" are behind the zip, which is just idiocy because who wants to undo their zip to access their map in the pouring rain and wind?

Can anyone point me at a jacket or brand that has decent anoraks with proper pockets?

Thanks in advance.
one option is a bit of modifying, Ive made up pockets and had a tailor machine them in, I'm currently breaking in a German Flectarn parka, its not discrete around town but all that I need in the field, just adding additional internal pockets as we speak,
Im just hoping for the best and preparing for the worse.

Citizen "H"