Are pockets too much to ask?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
featherstick

Are pockets too much to ask?

Post by featherstick »

I have a much-loved Berghaus jacket, that I bought years ago for when I was abroad with the Red Cross. It has a long tail, a huge adjustable hood with a wire peak, a double zip, velcro cuffs, a double storm flap with a little channel to stop water ingress if you're in a gale, a waistline draw string to keep heat in, bellows pockets at thigh level, an inner pocket, and two enormous great map pockets on the chest, with 9" zips, which extend right the way back under the armpit. These pockets are enormous, and so, so handy. For instance, in the recent snow I had a small thermos of hot Ribena in each one plus snack bars, replacement gloves, and still had space to stuff hats and things as the kids warmed up and cooled down. The pockets are great.

Can I find something similar with the same features? No I can't.

It's really clear that manufacturers are cutting back on all the little details that make up the total package to preserve or improve their margins. So an anorak won't have a double zip, or doesn't have storm flaps, or you can't adjust the hood....

Mostly the pockets are gone. Now all pockets seem to be mobile phone sized at best. Even on the Berghaus site, so-called "map pockets" are behind the zip, which is just idiocy because who wants to undo their zip to access their map in the pouring rain and wind?

Can anyone point me at a jacket or brand that has decent anoraks with proper pockets?

Thanks in advance.
IainT

Re: Are pockets too much to ask?

Post by IainT »

Have you tried Rohan? Their Hilltop jacket is long and has some of the features you're looking for.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

That's a good steer, thank you. Hadn't thought of them. Will try to get down to their shop.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I've not tried them but I know a couple of guys who like Keela. A quick look has shown up this, is this the sort of thing you're after ?

http://www.keela.co.uk/lomond-country-jacket.html
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Have you had a look at the Deerhunter range? (Sportsmansguncentre website). My Ram 2.0 jacket has multiple varied size pockets including a huge side zipped game pocket which is good for maps and other flat-ish stuff).
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
jansman

Post by jansman »

I am a fishing and shooting man. I went over to Goretex etc. However, I have gone back to Barbour waxed cotton jackets. Not cheap, but tough, reliable, waterproof and loads of pockets!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Get a bespoke one, or two:

https://en-gb.facebook.com/Twodogs-outd ... 252939415/

I have three. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

jansman wrote:I am a fishing and shooting man. I went over to Goretex etc. However, I have gone back to Barbour waxed cotton jackets. Not cheap, but tough, reliable, waterproof and loads of pockets!
I still use a Barbour gamefair a lot of the time, had it years, pockets big enough for two boxes of cartridges on each side and an inside pocket big enough for a bunny.
I have the furry liner as well so it's warm too.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Guys, its 2018, Barbour doesn't breathe. Let it go. It's Deerhunter FTW.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:Guys, its 2018, Barbour doesn't breathe. Let it go. It's Deerhunter FTW.
I've had my gamefair 20 years, I'll probably still have it in another 20, does it breathe as well as a modern fabric? No. Has that ever caused me a problem? Also no. Will it outlast something made of polyester? Definitely. ;)

One of those things where it's nice to have a choice, I wear the gamefair when it suits, I wear other things when it doesn't, and on the days where the Barbour is the right jacket to be wearing I wouldn't want to be wearing anything else.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.