Quick tip flash

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Seminole

Quick tip flash

Post by Seminole »

If you have a flash that can be manually triggered (or even if you carry a camera with an inbuilt flash) I can be a usefull defence from a night time attack, obviously ensure you point it at the attacker and close your eyes when you fire it.

A half decent flash will completely destroy their night vision for a good period of time,enough for an escape or retaliation if in an open area, but not much use in a confined space unless you find the egress point before them so best to wait till they are clear of that position if possible.
ukpreppergrrl

Re: Quick tip flash

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

To add if you intend to..um...flash someone, remember to close your own eyes before you trigger it otherwise you'll also blind yourself! The same is true when you switch a light on at night. Shut your eyes as you switch it on, your eyes adjust to the new light level much faster.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

One of my flashlights as well as having a sharpened serrated bezel has a strobe function, even in daylight indoor its effects are debilitating ( not so outside in normal light) but after dark its amazingly effective.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

A flash needs to charge up so that means carrying it switched on. I'd also suggest you turn it to manual full power to get the best "zap".
While this idea is fine if your walking around carrying a camera and flash, I suspect you'd have issues explaining why you just had a flash on it's own.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

"Give me your wallet"

Gets camera or phone out of pocket, switch on camera and wait for boot up sequence, or unlock phone and open camera app.
Point camera/phone at attacker.
Take photo.

Not going to happen, you'd have a knife in your ribs before you'd pressed the first button.
Aside from anything else, a criminal is not going to let you take their picture.

You have more of a chance with a torch, but even then only in certain circumstances, at least you can also use the torch as a striking weapon though which might help you out of trouble.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:To add if you intend to..um...flash someone, remember to close your own eyes before you trigger it otherwise you'll also blind yourself! The same is true when you switch a light on at night. Shut your eyes as you switch it on, your eyes adjust to the new light level much faster.
Read my post, allready mentioned that :)

As mentioned, only of use if you are carrying allready, sniper, my flash charges in about 1/4 second, others may not of course.
So very limited scenario for use, yes.