Kids clothes

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
IainT

Kids clothes

Post by IainT »

With all this cold and snow, I was wondering if anyone has some good ideas on what to do for children's winter clothing and footwear. Bearing in mind that they will get little wear as they grow out of them so they will last one year, two if you're lucky. What are the good value shops, makes, etc? I would assume polyester fleece as the mainstay? I'll be looking for kit in the spring sales as that seems a good time to buy winter gear or maybe not this year?
Brambles

Re: Kids clothes

Post by Brambles »

Best thing for growing kids is budget ski wear. Decathlon have some good value kiddie clothing that would do the job.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
korolev

Post by korolev »

When my boy was born I bought him one of those all-in-one snow suits. Trouble was it was a bit big and by the time it fitted it was July :|

To the OP, try charity shops, boot fairs and Facebook, loads of cheap stuff there.
lsnduck

Post by lsnduck »

As Korolev said, Facebook is an excellent source of cheap children's clothes. You should be able to find local selling groups easily enough.

Also, depending on your location, you might have local baby/children specific tabletop sales. These can be very good sources for cheap items. Check for local branches of organisations like Mumbler, NCT, or Tabletots.

We've tended to use snowsuit/splashsuit type things for both ours. The eldest is five and he still has one for wet use. We combine it with plenty of thin layers of normal clothes underneath for warmth and flexibility. We've tended to wellies for general use, but they aren't so good for extended periods of wear.

If you are able/willing to consider higher cost but very good value, JoJo Mamon Bebe do some nice two part fleece/waterproof coats with matching accessories (the hats are great, the boots good for younger, the gloves not so good). They are expensive, but good quality, rugged, and machine-washable. We have three sizes and they have been well worth the investment.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

What Isnduck says. Also make friends with parents on your street/in your neighbourhood - great source of barely-used hand-me-downs. We just got given a huge bag of stuff the other day - some of it great, some of it will go for rags. And we pass on the stuff they've grown out of.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Get to Aldi now!

They are selling off ski clothing got 2 kids fluffy fleeces for £1.99 each jacket for £4.99 etc
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

Keela have a children's range and I have seen them on ebay a few times!