Gear Failure (boots)

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
xplosiv1

Gear Failure (boots)

Post by xplosiv1 »

well there's nothing like bad conditions to highlight bad equipment.

today it was my old snow boots, to be honest I haven't used them in a few years but they have been fantastic anytime I have used them until today. earlier today the missus got her car stuck a few mins down the road from our house at the bottom of a hill so I walked down to get it the rest of the way home.

about half way there I heard a snap, thought maybe I stood on a branch under the snow , but then another one and another one........ the rubber on my boots had perished, gone brittle and broken to pieces. they've been stored indoors in my kit room so its not like they've been left exposed to the elements for ages or anything just as well I was only down the road and not miles away on a walk.

just goes to show good gear can break at anytime, If they were in the back of the car and I was relying on them I would have been in trouble.
IMG_20180228_151636 (Large).jpg
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Deeps

Re: Gear Failure (boots)

Post by Deeps »

Sorry to hear it mate, at least you didn't have far to 'John Wayne' it back home. It can happen at any time I guess, I always keep either a spare pair of laces or a length of paracord on me for a broken lace, some things you can't legislate for.
Citizen H

Re: Gear Failure (boots)

Post by Citizen H »

xplosiv1 wrote:well there's nothing like bad conditions to highlight bad equipment.

today it was my old snow boots, to be honest I haven't used them in a few years but they have been fantastic anytime I have used them until today. earlier today the missus got her car stuck a few mins down the road from our house at the bottom of a hill so I walked down to get it the rest of the way home.

about half way there I heard a snap, thought maybe I stood on a branch under the snow , but then another one and another one........ the rubber on my boots had perished, gone brittle and broken to pieces. they've been stored indoors in my kit room so its not like they've been left exposed to the elements for ages or anything just as well I was only down the road and not miles away on a walk.

just goes to show good gear can break at anytime, If they were in the back of the car and I was relying on them I would have been in trouble.
IMG_20180228_151636 (Large).jpg
That's when the gaffer tape come into play, seriously though I've got into a habit of dating my kit, the new army boots have a shelf life of 5 years even though my 1980's DMS high legs are still going strong, have a look at the German Army Para Boots they are brilliant for their build quality and price,
Im just hoping for the best and preparing for the worse.

Citizen "H"