Checking new equipment

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
pseudonym

Re: Checking new equipment

Post by pseudonym »

IIRC the British Military have moved away from hexi and onto Fire Dragon Fuel:

I have a smaller set up in my brew kit.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

I dig the point ends in the ground to stop it being nudged over.

Tin mugs be careful not to burn your lips, use a strip of tape on the rim. Test the side of the mug with the tip of your tongue first if not.

The new alcohol gel can be used as a hand sanitiser.
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I always used them pointy side up, but I think the point here is that it worked either way :lol: when you find them cheap you can get the whole thing cheaper than you can buy new blocks, I like the make your own plan though, it'd get rid of left over wax from tea lights etc.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Plymtom wrote:I always used them pointy side up, but I think the point here is that it worked either way :lol: when you find them cheap you can get the whole thing cheaper than you can buy new blocks, I like the make your own plan though, it'd get rid of left over wax from tea lights etc.
It does, they run smokier (and sootier) than the hexi tabs and don't burn so hot but they burn for longer. I made 16 tablets out of a £1 candle from Ikea and some wadded up cotton balls. There's loads of stuff on youtube (natch). Type in 'homemade hexamine tablets' or the like.

Its never occurred to me to turn the stove upside down to dig the jaggy bits in, I can see the logic but they're quite stable. Whatever works I guess.
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

Deeps wrote:
Plymtom wrote:I always used them pointy side up, but I think the point here is that it worked either way :lol: when you find them cheap you can get the whole thing cheaper than you can buy new blocks, I like the make your own plan though, it'd get rid of left over wax from tea lights etc.
It does, they run smokier (and sootier) than the hexi tabs and don't burn so hot but they burn for longer. I made 16 tablets out of a £1 candle from Ikea and some wadded up cotton balls. There's loads of stuff on youtube (natch). Type in 'homemade hexamine tablets' or the like.

Its never occurred to me to turn the stove upside down to dig the jaggy bits in, I can see the logic but they're quite stable. Whatever works I guess.
Likewise, never in all my years of using them had I thought about turning it upside down and using the spikes to hold it... Goes to show you never stop learning lol.

I've also tried making my own blocks, but found they were inadequate for me.

On the whole testing new equipment, being a big kid at heart I always test anything I buy. Mainly just because it's new & I want to 'play' with it.
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ChefSimon wrote:
Likewise, never in all my years of using them had I thought about turning it upside down and using the spikes to hold it... Goes to show you never stop learning lol.

I've also tried making my own blocks, but found they were inadequate for me.

On the whole testing new equipment, being a big kid at heart I always test anything I buy. Mainly just because it's new & I want to 'play' with it.
They take a bit more lighting than the hexy blocks, I did a timed test on them, put half a litre of cold water in a mess tin (no lid as I was using a pair) and started them at the same time. They hexy burned brighter and quicker but the home made lasted about twice as long and boiled the water, 1 hexy tab didn't do manage that, it got it hot enough for a hot drink but not boiling. I carry both so I have options, in anger I'd probably start with a hexy then when it was fading add a home made if I was needing to cook something that would need a bit of time (pasta/rice).

Like you, I also like to have a play when I get new toys, i could come out with some guff about trialling it so that I'm up to speed on it in an emergency but really its because I'm a manchild. :D
Wood cutter

Post by Wood cutter »

I had a very similar experience to the op the first time I used my MSR stove with liquid fuel. As you have to light a bowl of fuel to prime it you basically turn the whole thing into a ball of flames to get it lit. It's perfectly normal, but you really wouldn't want it to be a surprise the first time you use it in anger.

I tend not to have separate stuff for everyday / emergency use for exactly this reason. I know my everyday kit like the back of my hand, and have chosen what I believe to be the very best kit for my needs. In an emergency I'd want my everyday kit, not some brand new gear that I wasn't familiar with.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Wood cutter wrote:I had a very similar experience to the op the first time I used my MSR stove with liquid fuel. As you have to light a bowl of fuel to prime it you basically turn the whole thing into a ball of flames to get it lit. It's perfectly normal, but you really wouldn't want it to be a surprise the first time you use it in anger.

I tend not to have separate stuff for everyday / emergency use for exactly this reason. I know my everyday kit like the back of my hand, and have chosen what I believe to be the very best kit for my needs. In an emergency I'd want my everyday kit, not some brand new gear that I wasn't familiar with.
It really is a case of whatever works for you, for me the small size of the hexi makes it ideal for keeping in a bag that I'll be very unlikely to need to cook but enjoy having the ability to. I can keep plenty fuel for it too, as opposed to a small gas stove with a small canister that might let me use a couple of times before it runs out. Had plenty practise over the years with the hexi anyway. Keep a set of the Yugoslav mess tins/waterbottle set too, and a few packs of porridge/soup etc. Compact, probably never to be used but it leaves room in the bag for real life as well. Between the hexi and the mess kit, its about a tenner, is it as good as my coleman dual fuel or fancier gas stove, no but it will do in the unlikely event I'm stuck miles from home and need to feed myself. I've started keeping a small down sleeping bag in there too, it folds down tiny (cheers Aldi), not a patch on my bigger fancier bags but it really is TINY and in the bivvy bag I carry (not as good as my goretex one but less than half the size) it might do enough to keep my alive/let me sleep if required.

We'll all have our own take on our priorities etc and I enjoy seeing how others do it, sometimes I'll see something that I think is an improvement on what I'm doing, I've had a lot of inspiration from folk on here, its part of the fun of it.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

I really hate the smell of hexi and the way it made my food and drink taste too. Also learned the hard way to clear the ground around the stove before lighting it. After this I moved on to my much loved Trangia, but unfortunately it will be back to hexi at the festival this year as they are only allowing solid fuel. Thought I would try a different brand of block and after reading recommendations will give Esbit a try. I did look into the gel fuel sachets but after watching lots of comparisons on You Tube it did not seem to perform as well.
Growing old disgracefully!
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Medusa wrote:I really hate the smell of hexi and the way it made my food and drink taste too. Also learned the hard way to clear the ground around the stove before lighting it. After this I moved on to my much loved Trangia, but unfortunately it will be back to hexi at the festival this year as they are only allowing solid fuel. Thought I would try a different brand of block and after reading recommendations will give Esbit a try. I did look into the gel fuel sachets but after watching lots of comparisons on You Tube it did not seem to perform as well.
You can get gel fuel in a tin the same size as a Trangia. It's not quite as quick, but quicker than hexi blocks. and lasts hours. You could use one in the Trangia stove set instead of the burner. They are about £1 so may be worth a try. Asda and Tesco sell them.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon