Matches

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Matches

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I've had one for a couple of years and mines been fine probably depends on what factory in China is churning them out
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

jansman wrote:
Anyhow,if you carry matches,make sure they are sealed well ( does anyone REALLY do that tedious- dipping- in - wax- mullarkey?) and I seriously recommend a match safe !

I did do the dipping-in-wax-malarky years ago when I was a Cub Scout. I found your striker very quickly gets clogged with wax and becomes useless. You can scrape the wax off of course but it only delays the inevitable, and means more faffing around when you are potentially cold, tired and wet.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

If you want a cheap waterproof match case you could use the plastic tube from a sherbert fountain. Just cut to length and seal with a bit of tape. And you get to eat the sherbert :D
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I carry a turbo flame in my pocket at all times, belt/bum bag has another, plus some waterproof matches (yes I do the dippy in wax thing) and there's a disposable in there too, and a flint and striker, my belt bag is a proper man's take n the handbag as I have been the carer for the kids lifetimes, an EBTKS bag.

On a side note an old fart whinge for you as with the shrinking Mars bar factor, I remember matches having double the bloody coating back in the day, is it just me or can any more mature folk back up that? :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.