Matches

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jansman

Matches

Post by jansman »

Matches.Today I fished, and as it was so cold took the trangia stove and a leftover stew from yesterday.Inside the whole kit I keep a lighter, spoon and box of matches and one of those dopey p32? can openers ( my old Pussers Dirk was,and is ,far superior).

Long story short,the matches failed. The disposable lighter did not.I carry a Zippo anyway. In the car I have a GHB,and in there is my old military match safe. Those matches have to be 10 years old,but as they were sealed in that safe,they worked.

Anyhow,if you carry matches,make sure they are sealed well ( does anyone REALLY do that tedious- dipping- in - wax- mullarkey?) and I seriously recommend a match safe !
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Re: Matches

Post by Deeps »

I'm not a smoker so don't routinely carry anything when out locally (basically walking the dugs) but for anything even slightly further afield I put a wee clipper in my pocket (in a wee resealable bag). I keep some all weather matches in my fire starting gear, in the container I wedge extra cotton wool in and an extra striker strip. Like you in my kits I usually have a few lighters, they weigh next to nothing and don't take up much space. I only really use normal matches in the house, admittedly, mostly to counter the smell of dog farts. :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Ha ha! We have' smelly' candles to counter 'dog farts' too!

Robert Frost.

Me.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

I'm the same, always have a zippo and pack of storm matches when out on the hills and a little pack of cotton wool/ vasaline balls . gave up the ciggys a while back so day to day I carry nothing.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

xplosiv1 wrote:I'm the same, always have a zippo and pack of storm matches when out on the hills and a little pack of cotton wool/ vasaline balls . gave up the ciggys a while back so day to day I carry nothing.
Got a couple of zippo's, more as souvenirs as I'm led to believe they can dry out quite easy. I've got into the 'turbo' type gas lighters for being out in the wilds.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Zippos need ' managing' and in my experience last about 4 days.I carry one through Winter to the March clock change.That covers stove lighting,bonfires,and general outdoor stuff.We even re soldered a dodgy contact with it,when lamping rabbits.

Robert Frost.

Me.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Deeps wrote:
xplosiv1 wrote:I'm the same, always have a zippo and pack of storm matches when out on the hills and a little pack of cotton wool/ vasaline balls . gave up the ciggys a while back so day to day I carry nothing.
Got a couple of zippo's, more as souvenirs as I'm led to believe they can dry out quite easy. I've got into the 'turbo' type gas lighters for being out in the wilds.

yeah they do dry out if you leave them sitting takes a couple of weeks though, just top it up before you head out. I do like the turbo gas ones but from past experience I found they tend to gobble up the gas pretty quickly.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

xplosiv1 wrote:
Deeps wrote:

yeah they do dry out if you leave them sitting takes a couple of weeks though, just top it up before you head out. I do like the turbo gas ones but from past experience I found they tend to gobble up the gas pretty quickly.
I'm not really out long enough for the to run out so its not an issue. I usually have a few lighters anyway, even keep one in my FAK, the 'justification' :roll: being it can be used to sterilise a SAK or whatever. Basically, its an excuse to squeeze in another lighter. I keep a smally AAA torch (and spare battery) in the FAK too, you know, in case the numerous other torches I carry don't work. :oops:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I bought an identical one a few weeks ago, leaks like a sieve and catches fire when you strike the ferro rod attached. Better off with a zippo if you want a petrol lighter. I used to top mine up with 4 star but I have a diesel now and I suspect it wont run on that.