Solar Chargers

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
itsybitsy

Solar Chargers

Post by itsybitsy »

Any recommendations for a small, reasonably priced solar panel/universal solar charger for phone/tablet/laptop?
Brambles

Re: Solar Chargers

Post by Brambles »

You can go two routes. The cheapest option is a 5V USB solar panel, one of a size to charge tablets and phones would cost about £30. If you also want to charge your laptop you would need a 12V system, the most basic could be just a panel and charge controller but it would cost more.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I've been meaning to build a semi permanent 12v solar (and wind preferably) set up for a wee while. I'm looking at a couple of leisure batteries and decent all weather panel, its not cheap Itsy but if its a laptop or other items with a bit of 'oomph' then its whats needed as far as I can tell. You could go cheaper on the panels using camping ones I would guess but it would take longer. You'll need an inverter and some kind of 'supply' line from the batteries too. Loads of stuff on youtube and I think Brambles has a set up. There's a poster who lives in the Hebrides who's done it on a large scale I think.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Yep, I've built a solar generator in all it cost about £100 it's a portable one though. The next one I build will be a more permanent thing and like you Deeps I would like it hybrid wind and solar.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Brambles wrote:Yep, I've built a solar generator in all it cost about £100 it's a portable one though. The next one I build will be a more permanent thing and like you Deeps I would like it hybrid wind and solar.
That sounds interesting Brambles.Tbh,I would not have a clue where to start,especially when there is talk of regulators and inverters and such. :(

Robert Frost.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

jansman

Post by jansman »

Wow! Thankyou.I will look into that.That is rather clever Brambles.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

This was my first foray into homemade solar and for what I want it for it's brilliant. I want to make another static one with bigger panels and batteries for running a few more luxuries. I'm thinking 12v cool box, lights and maybe fans in the summer. :D
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Brambles wrote:This was my first foray into homemade solar and for what I want it for it's brilliant. I want to make another static one with bigger panels and batteries for running a few more luxuries. I'm thinking 12v cool box, lights and maybe fans in the summer. :D
Hadn't thought of a cool box, I like that. My plan is to have a panel fixed to the shed and the battery and 'gubbins' fixed in a corner out the way. An extension cable run to the house is in my thoughts too.