Solar Chargers

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
xplosiv1

Re: Solar Chargers

Post by xplosiv1 »

Deeps wrote:
Brambles wrote:This was my first foray into homemade solar and for what I want it for it's brilliant. I want to make another static one with bigger panels and batteries for running a few more luxuries. I'm thinking 12v cool box, lights and maybe fans in the summer. :D
Hadn't thought of a cool box, I like that. My plan is to have a panel fixed to the shed and the battery and 'gubbins' fixed in a corner out the way. An extension cable run to the house is in my thoughts too.
Just be mindful of the load you plan to supply over the distances involved if your shed is at the end of the garden you might be best to run out a separate circuit from your consumer unit.

also if your planning on using a flexible cable, use "arctic flex" or similar not the stuff you normally get for indoor extension leads, its a little more expensive but its made for cold / wet environments and will last years longer, also if using a flexible cable clip it direct to a wall / fence if you can never bury it.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

xplosiv1 wrote:
Deeps wrote:
Brambles wrote:This was my first foray into homemade solar and for what I want it for it's brilliant. I want to make another static one with bigger panels and batteries for running a few more luxuries. I'm thinking 12v cool box, lights and maybe fans in the summer. :D
Hadn't thought of a cool box, I like that. My plan is to have a panel fixed to the shed and the battery and 'gubbins' fixed in a corner out the way. An extension cable run to the house is in my thoughts too.
Just be mindful of the load you plan to supply over the distances involved if your shed is at the end of the garden you might be best to run out a separate circuit from your consumer unit.

also if your planning on using a flexible cable, use "arctic flex" or similar not the stuff you normally get for indoor extension leads, its a little more expensive but its made for cold / wet environments and will last years longer, also if using a flexible cable clip it direct to a wall / fence if you can never bury it.
Thanks for replying, for the extension I was planning on using a standard extension cable for when it was needed. I have a cat flap in the shed I could run it though and in a window, its not that far, the perks of a new build, good size house, wee garden. While it would be a serious project, I doubt it would be called on often, although I could save money I guess but I have the 4KW of solar panels on the roof anyway. For me it would be a prepper 'vanity' project but one I want to do.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Deeps wrote:
xplosiv1 wrote:
Deeps wrote:

Thanks for replying, for the extension I was planning on using a standard extension cable for when it was needed. I have a cat flap in the shed I could run it though and in a window, its not that far, the perks of a new build, good size house, wee garden. While it would be a serious project, I doubt it would be called on often, although I could save money I guess but I have the 4KW of solar panels on the roof anyway. For me it would be a prepper 'vanity' project but one I want to do.
It would be about 5 metres, would that make much of a difference ? All advice appreciated on the whole project, I'll probably be starting it in a couple of months, I'm getting a couple of hundred quid windfall about then. :D
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If your running bits in the house from the inverter a standard household extension lead will be fine assuming your not overloading it

according to the electrical rules and regs artic cable insulation is not adequately robust enough for extension leads or hook up cables as it doesn't comply with H07RN-F ((BS 7919)). And for outdoor use its only rated to 110v
t Arctic PVC jacketed cables are not designed for use outdoors with 230V supplies (it is only rated for 110V; BS7909 makes this definition
You do get voltage drop but even on the end of my 20m reel it's negligible

Strangely it's apparently hard to electrocute yourself as there is no path to earth if your inverter is off the ground unlike your household mains as it's classed as a floating earth there is no ground path for power to flow back and create value circuit through you (although I'm not testing the theory)

I've used mine to run the TV and a lamp in a power cut several times

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8297&start=10

Loads of info in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=11070

And a more manageable system for those with no electrical knowlage

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13491
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Deeps wrote:

It would be about 5 metres, would that make much of a difference ? All advice appreciated on the whole project, I'll probably be starting it in a couple of months, I'm getting a couple of hundred quid windfall about then. :D
Ah it's just a temp thing you're thinking of when needed, I assumed incorrectly it was going to be a permanent installation. 5 meters will be fine, a normal extension cable is good too for a temp supply as long as the insulation on the cable is in decent condition, I was just concerned you were going to use standard flex for a permanent outdoor installation
Area 11

xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:If your running bits in the house from the inverter a standard household extension lead will be fine assuming your not overloading it

according to the electrical rules and regs artic cable insulation is not adequately robust enough for extension leads or hook up cables as it doesn't comply with H07RN-F ((BS 7919)). And for outdoor use its only rated to 110v
t Arctic PVC jacketed cables are not designed for use outdoors with 230V supplies (it is only rated for 110V; BS7909 makes this definition
You do get voltage drop but even on the end of my 20m reel it's negligible

Strangely it's apparently hard to electrocute yourself as there is no path to earth if your inverter is off the ground unlike your household mains as it's classed as a floating earth there is no ground path for power to flow back and create value circuit through you (although I'm not testing the theory)

I've used mine to run the TV and a lamp in a power cut several times

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8297&start=10

Loads of info in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=11070

And a more manageable system for those with no electrical knowlage

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13491
Arctic flexible cable complies with BS7919, the cable is made for -40 degree environments and the outer sheath is UV stable with a voltage rating of 300/500 Volts.

http://www.builderdepot.co.uk/2-5mm-3-c ... -drum.html

http://www.aeicables.co.uk/products/dat ... Table%2044
Area 11

Deeps

Post by Deeps »

xplosiv1 wrote:
Deeps wrote:

Ah it's just a temp thing you're thinking of when needed, I assumed incorrectly it was going to be a permanent installation. 5 meters will be fine, a normal extension cable is good too for a temp supply as long as the insulation on the cable is in decent condition, I was just concerned you were going to use standard flex for a permanent outdoor installation
The plan is to be able to charge stuff either in the shed or more likely run a cable to the house, with hindsight, it would be more than 5M but no more than about 10 but yeah, just a wee project as much as anything. I'd like a wind option too but the cost might be prohibitive and in reality as its not likely to be heavily used probably a luxury anyway. A boy can dream though. :lol:

Thanks for getting back to me again though, all info appreciated. :D
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

xplosiv1 wrote:
Arctic flexible cable complies with BS7919, the cable is made for -40 degree environments and the outer sheath is UV stable with a voltage rating of 300/500 Volts.

Cheers reason I questioned it was the caravanning forums were awash with links and caravanning club PDFs over the use of artic flex ( mine is as it coils up nicely ;)

But these

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community ... ent-958136

https://www.industrialextensionleads.co ... s-14-w.asp

The iet forum is down at the moment

https://www.google.co.uk/url?q=https:// ... HIWm-uyCpf

Seem to point to it being unsuitable

That said as a kid I can remember every few years dad rewiring the catinary wire to the garage off a big roll of rubber cable he "liberated " from work years prior which after several summers sun cold winters wet and wind went bang long before RCD / rcbos and he'd replace it with another length... Woe betide any of us that tried to clout it with the broom or clothes prop.....

Thankfully when he moved the new garage is wired in SWA ;)

(I've worked as a electricians mate in the past so have a bit of knowledge and 2 sparky friends who I get to connect anything up at home ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
xplosiv1 wrote:

Cheers reason I questioned it was the caravanning forums were awash with links and caravanning club PDFs over the use of artic flex ( mine is as it coils up nicely ;)

But these

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community ... ent-958136

https://www.industrialextensionleads.co ... s-14-w.asp

The iet forum is down at the moment

https://www.google.co.uk/url?q=https:// ... HIWm-uyCpf

Seem to point to it being unsuitable

That said as a kid I can remember every few years dad rewiring the catinary wire to the garage off a big roll of rubber cable he "liberated " from work years prior which after several summers sun cold winters wet and wind went bang long before RCD / rcbos and he'd replace it with another length... Woe betide any of us that tried to clout it with the broom or clothes prop.....

Thankfully when he moved the new garage is wired in SWA ;)

(I've worked as a electricians mate in the past so have a bit of knowledge and 2 sparky friends who I get to connect anything up at home ;)

Personally I'd go with SWA but for non fixed installation solution like Deeps was talking about (basically an extension lead), Arctic flex is a cheap and cheerful solution.

the reason why it wouldn't be recommended for fixed outdoor installations is there is no degree of mechanical protection afforded, essentially its just PVC/PVC/Cu construction also I did a little digging since my last reply it's been a while since I've read any of these cable standards and you are correct table 44 in BS7919 does state it is not suitable for use at normal voltages (230V) but it is the sole responsibility of the cable manufacturer to justify any claim they make on their product heres where the confusion starts .... take for example the link above to AEI cables website , they say it conforms to Table 44 but also rate the cable for 500V AC and state its suitable for outdoor use for temporary traffic lights and portable tools now pretty much anything you plug into and extension lead could be classified as a portable tool / appliance.

It's Interesting though even giant ripoff merchant B&Q have it rated at 240V AC on their website and state it conforms to BS6004 table 44 which is a complete contradiction. Thanks for the challenge on that one, learnt something new today, I never use the stuff though so no impact lol.

anyway its a temporary flexible cable, a standard extension lead will do the same job.
Area 11

born prepper

Post by born prepper »

Anker have a good 21w solar charger, though I am not sure if it could charge a laptop.
Survival and Preparedness Tips: http://bornprepper.com

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!
My blog contains Amazon Affiliate Links.