Sleeping bag and food prep

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
ForgeCorvus

Re: Sleeping bag and food prep

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Another vote for the 'Bistro'/Flat/Square stove, in other words this

Handy picture of the inside

The big advantages of this type is they're very stable and you can use 'normal' kitchen pans on them.

I've recommended this type to non-campers who just want something to cook on during power-cuts.

The only fault I've seen with them was on a very heavily used one, the slide-thing that the can sits in wouldn't lock closed (meaning no gas would flow) due to a couple of screws working loose. I fixed it with a bit of tinkering and loctite
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Funnily enough, I've convinced my mum that I should get her one in case of power cuts, a couple she knows who live 15 minutes walk away had to bring their dinner round at the weekend to use her cooker as they'd had a power cut. It was a 15 minute walk and not a 5 minute drive because their car was locked in their garage with an electric door. :lol:

They really are simple to use and they have a built in igniter so you don't even need matches.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

FlashPan wrote:If you have cats you can think of this for cooking ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAFRq-pUUVg&t=881s
Cool! I never thought of this! I have lots of wood pellet cat litter for my cat (also good for human composting toilet). Definitely going to give this a go :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Another vote for the 'Bistro'/Flat/Square stove, in other words this

Handy picture of the inside

The big advantages of this type is they're very stable and you can use 'normal' kitchen pans on them.

I've recommended this type to non-campers who just want something to cook on during power-cuts.

The only fault I've seen with them was on a very heavily used one, the slide-thing that the can sits in wouldn't lock closed (meaning no gas would flow) due to a couple of screws working loose. I fixed it with a bit of tinkering and loctite
Plus 1 for this cooker as a good backup. We fixed the locking mechanism on ours by rolling up bits of inner tube to go between the canister and frame to push the canister further into position and make a seal.

I've mentioned this before, but a Jetboil is worth its weight in gold. There's no faffing about, it can make a welcoming, regenerating cup of tea in minutes and also cook boil in the bag food quicker than most comparable stoves. I have a wood gas stove, it's good in that it burns twigs but it's no Jetboil.

Sleeping bag - the latest army arctic bag is good, as others have said, but it can be restrictive if you're on the large side or if you like to sleep knees up. The Snugpak Elite 4 with its expanding section is my choice right now.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I like the jetboil as it's very fuel efficient but at a price

I also have a "Kelly kettle" aka "storm kettle"

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12689

Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:I like the jetboil as it's very fuel efficient but at a price

I also have a "Kelly kettle" aka "storm kettle"

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12689
We've been off-grid for coming up to ten months now and the one bit of kit we've heavily relied upon is the jetboil. The burner started to play up on our one, so before it failed completely, we had another ordered and in place. We use other stoves and different fuel sources, but there's nothing like the JB. As you say, it uses minimum fuel for the greatest heat return and when you want anything from a quick cuppa to a quick submariner's wash, the JB is the dog's do-dahs.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/oex-sola-x-cookset-p362177

Mate of mine has these makes most stoves a lot more efficient