Air Gun Licence for England ?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Deeps

Air Gun Licence for England ?

Post by Deeps »

We have a fair few air gunners on here so I thought I'd post this up. Apologies for using the Sun as the link, it was mentioned on the BBC this morning but this was the first link I saw.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4657158/b ... air-rifle/

From experience in Scotland, there was a huge delay between applying and for and receiving the license, time which I didn't use my air rifle for fear that I'd either be in the poo or lose the gun and be refused a license.
Brambles

Re: Air Gun Licence for England ?

Post by Brambles »

I suppose it was only a matter of time before this happened. I'm not a shooter, but I would apply for a licence, just in case. Will have to keep a close eye on it as this is just the sort of thing that gets slipped into law under the radar.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Wood cutter

Post by Wood cutter »

Do you know if we could have air rifles added to an existing FAC, or whether it would be a separate certificate? I did know a licence was required in NI, but I wasn't aware it was also in Scotland. How does it work there? Is it the same as the old rules for FAC air rifles (those over 12 ft/lb)?
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Wood cutter wrote:Do you know if we could have air rifles added to an existing FAC, or whether it would be a separate certificate? I did know a licence was required in NI, but I wasn't aware it was also in Scotland. How does it work there? Is it the same as the old rules for FAC air rifles (those over 12 ft/lb)?
In Scotland if you have an existing FAC/shotgun license you could add your air weapon license to it. My mate got charged a fiver for his airgun license I think. I was charged about 70 quid and off the top of my head, that's for 5 years. There was no inspection but the requirement was to keep it locked up. I bought a gun cabinet (not bolted to the house) as I'd had a wee gambling windfall but its not required. Its been discussed on here before.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13392

Hope this helps.
Wood cutter

Post by Wood cutter »

Thanks deeps, that's interesting. I'll have a proper read of the other thread.
korolev

Post by korolev »

Couple more years and I'm going to have to get a license for the spoons in the kitchen.

(not that I actually want a gun of any sort, been there done that)
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

It stinks, I'm not going to say I'm aright Jack because I'm licensed section 1&2 and wouldn't expect to have to jump through more hoops, but there's a tiny amount of people who abuse airguns, it's bad news for shooting sports and wont stop wrong doing, because when you think about it it's very rare they catch the idiots who do naughty things with them, licensing wont change that, but effective policing and education would help, this is just more bureaucracy, paperwork, restrictions on the law abiding I like the take Robin Williams had on British attitude to firearms " policeman says STOP! or say STOP again!" which demonstrates how criminals will go largely unaffected.

I'm fighting this one, everyone should :evil:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

korolev wrote:Couple more years and I'm going to have to get a license for the spoons in the kitchen.
There is a precedent in UK law:

:mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

pseudonym wrote:
korolev wrote:Couple more years and I'm going to have to get a license for the spoons in the kitchen.
There is a precedent in UK law:

:mrgreen:
Steady, don't want to go giving more ideas to extract money....I can see cutlery tax. :roll: :mrgreen:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Drcamburn

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you work, you eat, it's as simple as that.