Air Gun Licence for England ?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Briggs 2.0

Re: Air Gun Licence for England ?

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

I've got a bit of a rat issue at the moment. Trapping is not getting the results I need so it's time to knock them over humanely. Where they are, it's not practical for me to use a 22LR or the 12G so I'm in the market for a fairly robust and powerful air rifle. I'm thinking of the Hatsan Gladius in .177, mainly because I google-tubed 'air rifle with picatinny rail'. and this one came up.

The rail means I can use the sights and aiming attachments that I already own so that's a must and I'm not keen on screwing one on, it has to come with the rail. I'm not really an air-gunner so I'd welcome any suggestions from people who air-gun. Has anybody any experience of the Gladius? Any others that are similar, perhaps UK made?
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Drcamburn

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you work, you eat, it's as simple as that.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

I'd never really considered the bullpup design, not until google led me there. Having seen the design, I do see some benefits with a bullpup platform, the shorter length and weight more rearward are positive features which are starting to float my boat.

The price is sort of what I was expecting to pay for a mid-range gun.

Thanks for coming back with suggestions.
Drcamburn

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Here's the thingy to get. then you can have any airgun you fancy https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-11mm-Dovet ... SwqBJXV8uS
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Tom - Nice and neat but I was planning on replicating what's on my 22, with a laser on the lower rail and maybe a torch on the side. I'm a bit of a picatinny fanboy for the easy way to set up attachments.

Dr Camburn - I'm with you there, I hear the same reports and it's the one thing that's over-shadowing my decision. Tom, you're familiar with Hatsan gear, how is it for you in terms of out of the box quality and long term reliability?
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:Tom - Nice and neat but I was planning on replicating what's on my 22, with a laser on the lower rail and maybe a torch on the side. I'm a bit of a picatinny fanboy for the easy way to set up attachments.

Dr Camburn - I'm with you there, I hear the same reports and it's the one thing that's over-shadowing my decision. Tom, you're familiar with Hatsan gear, how is it for you in terms of out of the box quality and long term reliability?

I've not heard anything too bad about them, cheap and cheerful perhaps, we've got a Revo which is a similar story, hasn't let us down yet, like all guns though they are fussy what ammo they eat without issue, I'll have a chat with the lads in the airgun shop next week, just had a quick look on youtube though the Hatsan Gladius looks the business :)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Drcamburn

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I'm also fighting the licensing, doubt it'll do any good but feel it's my responsibility (along with every other shooter's) to stand up for our rights. It will make no difference to crime and will be another step towards killing legal shooting.

With reference to the rats, my choice would be the Crossman ratcatcher, compact, cheap, and has enough power but not too much, you're going to be shooting them close in so with a full power .177 you risk the pellet going straight through and damaging whatever they're in front of, less chance of that with a lower powered .22.

A mate of mine has a Hatsan semi auto shotgun and it's a really good gun for the money so there's nothing wrong with the brand, there are some duff ones but you could say that about most brands, I would say to try one out before buying if you can, not because of the brand, but because that's always a good idea.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
farnet

Post by farnet »

Being an FAC owner and also having air rifles, I have previously been of the opinion of non FAC air Rifles never being restricted, but now after seeing a spate of absolutely malicious kids shooting pets, I have changed that to requiring all guns being licensed, and air rifle offences being made very harsh.

additionally, I am an avid target shooter and enjoy all areas and decided to try crossbows for the first time last year, after purchasing a crossbow and then (foolishly) doing the calculations after purchasing the bow, this damn thing has so much kinetic energy to go through three living things and embed itself in a wall..... unbelievably there is absolutely no license required for owning such a deadly, silent and utterly dangerous weapon in this country...

Honestly.... since buying it, I have not fired it once. Firstly, the bolts are £10 a pop, but I also don't have a target safe enough to use it with (I have a big garden backing onto unused fields, but I'm still not taking the risk).....

In the summer I will try it at my FAC club.

Archery on the other hand is brilliant, but extremely tiring on the arms for such an unfit individual.
Area 6 bordering to area 8

'Time is a poison - too much of it and you die'