Air Gun Licence for England ?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Plymtom

Re: Air Gun Licence for England ?

Post by Plymtom »

farnet wrote:In the summer I will try it at my FAC club.

Archery on the other hand is brilliant, but extremely tiring on the arms for such an unfit individual.

That's where we use ours, we took our targets there to live.

As for archery scales and chronie give some noteworthy stats ;)

For Son's 40lb recurve we got 132 fps
555 grain arrow weight
giving.......................21.47 foot pounds of KE ( Kenetic energy)
And a momentum of .325 slugs

My 60lb compound bow we got 171 fps
563 grain arrow weight
giving.......................36.55 foot pounds of KE ( Kenetic energy)
And a momentum of .427 slugs

Our 175lb Crossbow we got 212 fps
372 grain arrow weight
giving.......................37.12 foot pounds of KE ( Kenetic energy)
And a momentum of .35 slugs

As you can see, archery doesn't tickle either!

And I disagree on licensing, it wont catch the idiots, it wont stop; the idiots, in fact it'll stretch the police even further, giving them less resources to fight crime, and catch the &^^$$s they haven't got the resources to catch as it is, the laws are adequate just not enforced, and attitudes particularly where cats are concerned need to change we have 9 they do their business in their litter trays, millions don't but unlike dogs their owners are not held to account when they come onto your property and do it so some people ( not nice people IMO) take matters too far into their own hands and should be stopped, but you have to ask is it responsible to let cats wander? You'll see elsewhere I've been in the gunshops where I have seen such idiots turned away when they openly state why they want an airgun, some don't even think it's wrong :evil:

Here's a link for you which may give perspective https://pictures-of-cats.org/how-many-c ... -year.html 250000 a year run over in the UK, our cats are never going to be among those statistics even though many years ago someone too pot shots at one of ours when she had her head poked out of the window, we only found out years later by the holes in our down-pipe where the ^%$£ missed. When presented with one side of an argument and especially if you have a vested interest one should investigate it from all angles, not only that, we should make TPTB do the very same thing, get the facts and think about how we feel, don't let the media pull our strings as they are no better equipped than we are, probably worse in fact, they decide how they feel and present a case from that angle, then only those who agree with that case are ever heard. That's not political by the way, it happens across the political divide and common sense rarely prevails :(
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Good post Tom, totally agree, licencing won't stop people doing bad things, horrible b'stards that think its acceptable to hurt animals will still do it anyway, there are plenty powerful catapults out there even if they can't get an air rifle. We can't just ban or prohibit everything, its awkward and unworkable, the banning of the 'zombie knives' doesn't seem to have made much of a dent in knife crime for example.
Casso

Post by Casso »

I know this particular thread states “England”, but will this be a UK wide licensing change? Will it affect me in Wales, if anyone knows?

Also, how does this affect Air Pistols? I know that at one point, someone told me Air pistols were banned, but then you can still purchase them in the UK, from the UK?

This is getting a bit confusing to me. Maybe it’s just me, but I struggle to keep up with it all!
farnet

Post by farnet »

Guys, I see where you coming from and can't argue with your logic; my opinion is (and it's purely my opinion) that all should be licensed not necessarily restricted though, it is more of a deterrent.. yes like everything you can't stop those who actively want to do something cruel, but it would give people a 'what if' moment, if caught and found guilty the punishment should be harsher than it currently is.

I appreciate what you are saying, as the same went for hand guns in the 90's; how many people died from licensed handguns when they were available in comparison to people dying from drink driving / motor incidents yearly.... its the same principle, I didn't / don't agree with the ban, but instead a stricter vetting and control process should have issued. and the illegal handguns are still out there.

I'm one of those seriously against a nanny state, but in complete contradiction (and I don't know it its because I'm getting old and grumpy), a deterrent would work very well..

I had a very similar conversation regarding modern terrorists with a member of the military this morning, and the idea of restricting chemicals, etc., doesn't work as you can make stuff out of basic household ingredients (Like TATP?!?), but people that really want to commit harm are starting to realise the best weapon is a large vehicle....... how do you stop that, it's a crazy situation to be in..... now that does really scare me as there isn't a solution of any form for something like that.

Sorry I digressed from the topic, it's just that the conversation has been playing on my mind all day.

Maybe I should split the post and put the bottom half on another topic?! don't want to upset people as I've just arrived back on the forum after a couple of years away.
Area 6 bordering to area 8

'Time is a poison - too much of it and you die'
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Casso wrote:I know this particular thread states “England”, but will this be a UK wide licensing change? Will it affect me in Wales, if anyone knows?

Also, how does this affect Air Pistols? I know that at one point, someone told me Air pistols were banned, but then you can still purchase them in the UK, from the UK?

This is getting a bit confusing to me. Maybe it’s just me, but I struggle to keep up with it all!
Check out wbats happening in Scotland mate.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Deeps wrote:Good post Tom, totally agree, licencing won't stop people doing bad things, horrible b'stards that think its acceptable to hurt animals will still do it anyway, there are plenty powerful catapults out there even if they can't get an air rifle. We can't just ban or prohibit everything, its awkward and unworkable, the banning of the 'zombie knives' doesn't seem to have made much of a dent in knife crime for example.

Exactly mate they've been demonizing the inanimate objects for many a year without solving the problems nor really addressing the issues.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Plymtom wrote:
Deeps wrote:Good post Tom, totally agree, licencing won't stop people doing bad things, horrible b'stards that think its acceptable to hurt animals will still do it anyway, there are plenty powerful catapults out there even if they can't get an air rifle. We can't just ban or prohibit everything, its awkward and unworkable, the banning of the 'zombie knives' doesn't seem to have made much of a dent in knife crime for example.

Exactly mate they've been demonizing the inanimate objects for many a year without solving the problems nor really addressing the issues.
Apart from the biggest killers: cigarettes;alcohol and vehicles with speeds over 30 MPH
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

On a related note:

A national newspaper recently ran a story about some nasty little neo-nazi including pictures of him posing in front of a swastika with a 'deadly rifle' ......... An air gun
Talk about trying to ramp up the fear.

By definition, Criminals don't obey the law
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

ForgeCorvus wrote:On a related note:

A national newspaper recently ran a story about some nasty little neo-nazi including pictures of him posing in front of a swastika with a 'deadly rifle' ......... An air gun
Talk about trying to ramp up the fear.

By definition, Criminals don't obey the law
I truly wish there was an independent news source, every story one reads seems to have the intention of leading the reader to a certain conclusion, often some distance from reality. Gossip on a national scale. :(
Squirrelcatcher

Post by Squirrelcatcher »

Unfortunately, UK Gov's answer to any challenge seems to be create a new law, not to fund adequate enforcement of the already adequate legislation we have with most issues in this country.

My solution: a licence to have an MP. Must be kept securely locked away and only brought out when there are safe arrangements in a safe environment.